Chapter 33

The next couple weeks were full of explanations, yelling Kages (I had refused to tell them the future), and war preparations. In between that, any country willing to let me copy their jutsus sent ninja over to teach me. There was so much going on that I never really got to see Gaara, Kankuro, or Temari.

I only was able to visit with Konan when we were set to train with each other. She helped me, not only with origami style, but also with the uses of the Rinnegan I copied off of Nagato. In my free practice time, I worked on using the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan as well as the Rinne-Sharingan Sasuke would gain in the future.

Luckily, though, the busyness didn't last more than a month. Gaara set it up where everyone was working way overtime for the first month and had time off to rest and build up chakra for the second month.

I didn't take the whole time off, only about two weeks. I spent the first two weeks practicing Six Paths Juubi chakra mode. It was pretty easy to go into, but it took the two weeks to be able to keep it up for a few hours.

The rest of the time, I hung out with the Sand Siblings and Konan, but mostly with Gaara. He knew I was working more than everyone else, and wanted to make sure I took time off to relax and recuperate. During the first week, he actually asked me out on a date. Gaara was kind of shy and awkward about it, but we had a great time, anyway.

----------- Flashback --------------

It was the second day after I finished training Juubi mode, and I was resting in the living room, reading a book. This normally would have been enough to keep me occupied, but I had been so active the weeks before that I was bored out of my mind now.

Gaara walked into the room as I dropped the book and sighed. He stared at me, taking in how I positioned on the couch. My feet were on the back, my back on the seat, and my head hanging off the edge. He just shook his head, already used to my weirdness.

"Kira, what are you doing?"

"I'm bored!" I groaned dramatically, flinging my arms out to the side. "I have to find something to do, or I'll go crazy!"

"Why don't we go out together?" He noticed that that sounded like he was asking me out, and blushed, rushing through the next part: "If, If you want to! You don't have to think of it as a date, but just hanging out if you'd rather not. You know what, never mind, I'll, I'll just go."

He started leaving the room before I could answer, obviously overwhelmed, even without me answering. He must have been thinking about it, but didn't mean to ask me out yet. Either that or he had ment to, but wanted it to come out differently.

Either way, I wasnt going to let him get away with asking me out and then leaving. I had actually been thinking of asking him out myself soon if he didn't ask me. I might know he survived the war, but I don't know if I would.

I grabbed his sleeve, stopping him. "Gaara," I said softly, "I'd love to go out with you, like as a date."

"Ok." He turned back to me, still blushing, but obviously trying not to. "Come on, let's go."

I grabbed his hand as we left the house, making him stiffen some before he relaxed again. Gaara was still nervous about us going on a date, and wasnt expecting it. As we walked, I swung our hands back and forth slowly, liking that he hadn't tried to flinch away. (Even now, he still wasn't very comfortable with unexpected touching)

The first thing he did was take me to a dango shop. Dango were my favorite kind of sweet here. After eating, we walked around, looking at what they had for sale in the stalls. Gaara didn't seem quite sure what we were supposed to do together, but I didn't have a clue, either. I'd never done on a date before, just like him.

It didn't matter that neither of us knew what to do. We were just happy to be together. We talked about random things as we walked around, from how annoying Kankuro can be to how it is going in Konoha (I told him that Lady Tsunade would be waking up soon and taking over as Hokage again) to what we had been doing the past month to prepare for the war.

After we were done looking around, I asked Gaara if he wanted to fly somewhere with me. He agreed and I grew my wings, flying beside him (he was on his sand) to a desert oasis not far from Suna. I found out there that Gaara couldn't swim. I mean, it's not strange that he can't, he lives in a desert after all, but it would be a big disadvantage to him if he didn't have enough chakra to water walk and fell into a deep river or lake. And that was how I ended up teaching Gaara how to swim.

By the time we were done, it was getting dark. We stayed there to watch the sun set. It was beautiful, with all the reds and purples reflecting off the lake. I could see Gaara glancing at me out of the corner of his eye, then blush and look away.

I guessed that he probably wanted to kiss me, especially because he glanced down at my lips more often then not, but he didn't take the initiative. He must have worried that it was too soon, but I wasn't going to wait for him this time.

Feeling myself blushing furiously, I pulled on his sleeve, making him turn to me. When he was looking at me, I blushed harder, turning away for a second to gather my courage. This was going to be my first kiss, after all.

Then I learned forward, barely touching his lips with mine. I closed my eyes tightly, afraid to see what his face looked like. I waited an agonizing minute for his brain to restart and accept the situation before he finally responded, pushing our lips harder together. It wasn't perfect and neither of us knew what we were doing, but at the same time it was just ... perfect. It might have been sloppy, but we both poured our love for each other into it, making it amazing and wonderful anyway.

When we pulled back, both of us were smiling and blushing, but looking at each other and seeing the love we had for each other reflected in the other's eyes. Then, the moment was ruined when what we did caught up to us and we quickly looked away from each other at the sand.

------------- End Flashback -----------------

When we got back home after that, Temari and Kankuro were waiting up for us. They took in our blushing faces, well mostly mine: I blush easier and they stay longer, and immediately knew we had gone out on a date. Temari grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the room while Kankuro started questioning Gaara. Unable to deal with it at the time, I just blushed harder, hirraishining into my room and locking the door.

Gaara and I kept dating for the next couple weeks, and eventually had to talk to Kankuro and Temari about it. Luckily, both of us were powerful enough that, when it became clear that we weren't going to give them any juicy details to gossip or tease us about, they gave up, even if it was ungraciously. I distinctly remember Temari throwing dishes at us.

Anyway, our dates and happy times slowed down the last few days of my second week of break. It was getting closer to the War, and everyone was too nervous to be truely happy. Gaara, however, was determined to fill what might be the last days of our lives with joy and happiness, leading to more surprise dates and outings in between strategy meetings.

And then, he had one last big surprise outing planned for the day before we left to our war stations. Unfortunately, he refused to give me any hints about it, determined to keep it a secret till he came to pick me up.

--------------- A/N --------------------

Hey guys, sorry this took so long to get out. I was having some trouble writing out a date and kiss scene for them, it's not really something I've done before. I'm sorry if they seem a bit cliche and OOC, but I did the best I could.