Prologue: The Promise

Start from the beginning

Kotori leaned in slightly as an answer and slowly started to close her eyes. Knowing full well what Kotori's answer was, Umi imitated Kotori's move.

As they both leaned in closer, their heart started beating faster and faster. With eyes fully closed and lips connected, they could feel their heart stop of happiness.

The kiss was gentle, chaste even. It was all far too much for Umi; she had finally confessed to the love of her life and now here she was kissing her, and Kotori hadn't even protested. Heck! She was even the one who suggested it!

But unfortunately the moment had to be stopped since they both ran of breath. The two kids looked at each other smiling like a bunch of idiots.

They were happy, they were together, but not all moments can last that long...

2 weeks after their confession, Kotori had to move since her mom had gotten a new job in the city as a principal.

There they were on top of the hill once again, one was crying and the other was on the verge of tears.

"Why? I thought we will be together and get married? Why are you leaving?!" Umi had shouted as she still refuse to let her tears fall. She will not be weak, especially not in front of her love.

Kotori sniffed and sob for a few moments before answering. "I'm so sorry, Umi-chan. I don't want to go either! I want to stay here with you and be by your side forever. I love you... so please don't hate me." Kotori managed to say while sobbing and sniffing in between.

Umi couldn't handle it anymore, her tears dropped. She moved closer to Kotori and wiped her tears away and gently whispered to her ear. "I would never be mad at you, Kotori. I love you, and it's not your fault that you have to leave. I'm sorry for shouting at you."

Umi hugged Kotori tightly and started rubbing her back, whispering nothing but sweet and comforting things to her, even as her own tears fall.

After the both of them calmed down. Eyes both red and puffy, they cuddled together on the grass on top of the hill, staring at the same view of the town.

Umi started to fidget around as if she was trying to get something from her pocket. She looked at Kotori who had a curious look, with one of her eyebrows up and lips curled into a confused frown.

Adorable, Umi thought as she started giggling, making the ash-brown haired girl frown even more. "Um... so after our confession 2 weeks ago, I thought of saving my allowance to buy you something." Umi smiled sheepishly as she lightly scratched her cheeks, avoiding eye contact with Kotori.

"Umi-chan, you know you didn't have to fo that!" Kotori gasped.

"I know... but I wanted to." Umi grinned at Kotori with a small blush on her face.

Umi pulled out a box and opened it. In the box contained two matching rings, except one was silver and the other was blue. Looking at it closely, this must've been really expensive.

Kotori gaped at the rings before looking at Umi in disbelief, as a response Umi just smiled sheepishly back at her. "H-how much was this...?" Kotori muttered weakly.

"Uh... it was about ¥30050. I kind of had to ask Eli for some money too..." Umi laughed weakly when she remembered the million questions she got from her older cousin when asked for money. Umi fortunately manage to escape, but not without the money her cousin had lend her.

"W-w-what?! ¥30050?! You really didn't have to do it, Umi-chan!" Kotori slurred with concern.

"No, no, it's fine Kotori! Really! If you want to pay me back then just wear the blue ring and I'll be happy." Umi took the beautiful blue ring out of the box.

Sighing, Kotori gave up and agreed to wear the ring. She lifted her left hand and felt a cold object sliding in onto her ring finger. When she looked at her beloved she saw that she was grinning widely. At this, Kotori smiled at her love's goofy face.

After Umi was finished putting the ring on her beloved's finger, she then felt Kotori lifting her left hand up and sliding on the silver ring onto her fingers. She saw that Kotori was smiling and this made her smile too.

After they were finished, the two smiled at one another, and they both started to lean in, eyes slowly closing. Their lips connected, Umi moved her head closer to Kotori to deepen their kiss.

Once out of breath, they separated resting their foreheads together. "Kotori... you'll come back... right?" Umi said unsure if the other girl was really coming back.

"Yes I promise, Umi-chan. Even if I don't, I'll find you. Then we can get married." Kotori grinned. Umi smiled back as response.

For the rest of the hours they had, they just cuddled with one another on top of the hill. Unfortunately, their time together was over.

Back at their house, Kotori stood near the car, eyes full of tears once again, talking to Umi and Eli. "Well... this is it, huh? Our time to finally separate..." Eli smiled sadly at Kotori, eyes also full of tears.

Kotori was like a little sister to Eli, she was one of the people who she wanted to protect. Growing up, Umi and Eli had been best of friends, but ever since Kotori moved to their neighborhood the three of them had been inseparable. Eli would sometimes feel a bit lonely though, because it was pretty obvious that her little cousin and Kotori had feelings with each other.

But nevertheless, the both of them never did nor will ever disinclude Eli. "Yeah... I'll miss you guys. I just wish I could stay here with the both of you..." Kotori sobbed.

"We'll miss you too, Kotori. We will never forget you, okay?" Umi comforted Kotori, whom submitted to Umi's hug. Eli smiled at this interaction, she knows that Kotori and Umi got together and was very accepting and supportive to their relationship.

After the hug -Eli had also joined the hug after a few moments later- they let go and continued crying. "Well... I have to go no now, bye I'll miss you guys." Kotori smiled sadly and even more sadder when she looked at Umi.

The cousins only nodded unable to utter a single word. Kotori opened the car door then slammed it shut. Before the car drives away, Umi ran to Kotori's window and started knocking on it. Opening the window, Kotori was about to ask what was wrong when suddenly she was stopped by a pair lips pressing onto hers.

Everyone around them stood in silence, shocked at what they are seeing, but not aggressive about it. Especially Kotori's mom who had saw it all since she was the one who was driving the car Kotori was in. Kotori's mom smiled at the scene, she was supportive about this relationship. I mean, it was Umi who made her daughter smile and look forward the next day everyday.

Breaking the kiss, Umi started talking. "I love you, and I'll never stop loving you. I promise to marry you and I don't intend to break that promise." Umi had a determined face that made Kotori giggle a bit. Kotori pecked Umi's lips again and replied.

"I sure do hope you don't, I'll see you again. I promise." Kotori smiled. Umi grinned. Closing her window, Kotori gave Umi one last sad smile, and then there they were away from view. More tears ran down Umi's cheek.

The girl felt a hand on her shoulder. Looking at whose hand it was, she saw a smiling Eli. "Don't worry Umi, we'll see her again." She muttered to her younger cousin.

"I know, I just wish I could see her smile again. One last time..." Umi grinned when she remembered Kotori's gentle smile.

She was certain that she was going to see her again, but she wasn't sure if they could keep their promise. Until then, she will always remember her beloved and her smile. No matter what. Their proof was the ring on her finger, it was proof that Umi loves her and would do anything for her. Anything.