Chapter 50 Home sweet home

Mulai dari awal

And she would enjoy every second of it.

...

Washed up and in clean clothes, Vara and Iason now sat across the riders from Tirèze in the large, cozy main room.

The riders had barely acknowledged Vara and had directed their entire speech towards Iason. Vara had decided to let it slide for now, though she could tell it irritated Iason.

When they had finished their request, Vara cleared her throat. "We will honor your request for aid, not only because Zeir and Tirèze are allied, but also because king Darius is my kin through his sister's marriage with prince Cyrus. Please give us some time to make arrangements. If you wish, you may use one of the messenger birds to bring word to your king."

The men looked at Iason. "Why does your wife speak for you? In Tirèze, women do not interfere in men's business."

"You are not in Tirèze," Iason said firmly, "in Zeir, women have authority too. This property belongs to my wife. I'd appreciate if you treat her with respect."

The men exchanged glances. Kaveh was the one to answer. "With respect," he glanced at Vara, "what does a woman know of warfare?"

Vara lifted her chin and stared at him coldly. "Are you saying only men suffer from war? Who do you think defends home and hearth while men fight at the border?"

They had the decency to look flustered.

Zahir narrowed his eyes and regarded her with a cold look. "Then what does the lady suggest?"

"As I am sure you have noticed, your garrison is small," Vara said, "still, we will send two of our soldiers with you to the nearby regiment near the border. I will write a missive that you can select a number of men, as I will indicate, to take with you to Salvire. I expect them to be treated with the same respect we show your soldiers, as well as a copy of the reports sent to your king."

The men blinked and looked at Iason for confirmation.

"My wife has spoken," Iason said calmly, "I will accompany you to the border. You are welcome to stay another night as we make arrangements. We will leave in the morning." He stood up and offered Vara his hand. She smiled and accepted it, allowing him to help her to her feet. She looked at the three riders. "You are welcome to join us at dinner tonight. Please excuse me while I go make arrangements." She nodded at them and headed towards the study. She would make sure to send word to Auros as well. Perhaps the king would know about any rumors regarding an alliance of Balor and Volton. She hoped it wasn't true. They had enough to worry about with just Balor.

...

Ariane glanced at her husband from the corner of her eye while gently rocking Loukios in his crib. Things had become strained between them since lord Caius had died. It was like it had been in the beginning when she had first arrived here.

Ever since Vara and Iason had returned to Boncini, Cyrus had ben restless. Ariane was afraid to bring up the subject again. Last time he had walked out on her. And Vara had been the one to bring him back.

Ariane bit her lip. It didn't make sense to her. When she looked at Vara and Iason, they appeared to be happy together. But Iason must know about his wife and Cyrus. She had seen it when they had arrived at court to pay their respects. Did it not bother him at all? Or perhaps he was just glad to have married so well. How often did a soldier rise to almost a prince?

But they seemed happy.

She sighed. Perhaps she should just be glad that Vara was so far away. Having her around only made things awkward. She didn't even know how to look at Vara anymore.