Chapter Seventeen

Genji had gotten Jesse halfway down the hall when what he said fully hit him. The southerner slipped out of his grasp and gave him a determined look. "You said we'd talk. So, talk."

The ninja sighed lady and turned around. "Fine..." He quickly surveyed the hallway. "But we have to do it somewhere private."

McCree nodded and walked into first room he saw. To their luck, it was an empty conference room. As soon as they walked inside, a huge, holographic monitor came to life, lighting up the room. They squinted at the light before turning away from it.

The Shimada closed the door behind him and turned to face the brunet, a look if sympathy on his face. He bit his bottom lip nervously. The gunslinger was starting to get impatient.

"Well?"

"He doesn't hate you," Genji started off carefully. "I don't think he can bring himself to."

He saw the relief on the cowboy's face and piped up, "But! He is still upset and doesn't trust you much."

The relief changed to sadness and Jesse sighed. "Dunno why I'm surprised..." he murmured, glancing down. "He prolly thinks I meant to screw 'im over..."

"He knows what you're going through."

McCree glanced up in surprise. "How so?"

Genji sighed, taking a seat at the conference table. As he spoke, the southerner joined him.

"When Hanzo tried to kill me... He only did it because he was ordered to. After my death, he was supposed to run the clan. Instead, guilt overtook him and he fled. He wandered for years thinking he had killed the only brother he had and abandoned the only life he had ever known. But..."

He paused, drumming his fingers on the table. "His morality was stronger. He did the right thing, despite the sins he thought he'd committed. And that is strength, above all else."

The southerner stayed quiet letting the words sink in. Then he muttered under his breath, "Then what am I supposed t' do?"

The cyborg shrugged. "That I cannot help you with," he answered, standing up. He pushed his chair in and stared the cowboy dead in the eyes. "But whatever you do, I know it'll be the right thing."

And with that, Genji left the room. Jesse watched the door click shut behind him, thinking his advice over. After some time, he stood up and pushed his own chair in.

"I have to do the right thing," he thought, walking out of the room. He didn't even notice when the monitors turned off. "Even if it gets me killed in the process."