Chapter Ten

They arrived at Hanamura by daybreak.

What gave it away was the bright pink cherry blossoms on the trees, along with Hanzo's solemn expression. Although he looked serious and rigid, McCree could see the problem excitement hidden in his dark eyes. At this, he chuckled quietly. "Good t' be home, ain't it?"

"For you it might be," the ravenet murmured as they snuck off the boat. "I have too many memories of this place. It feels so... Unreal, being back here.

He hummed in acknowledgement and lit a cigar. "Well, hopefully you can enjoy yerself." As they walked past a cherry blossom tree, he reached up and plucked off a few petals. He was surprised at how soft they were. He stared at them in awe and heard laughter behind him.

"Really, Jesse?" The Shimada came up beside him. "You've only been gone a few months. For me, it's been years." Without thinking, he grabbed the petals out of the cowboy's hand. "Your over-sentimentality amuses me."

The brunet held his breath as their fingertips brushed, and he watched as the Asian stroked the petals between his fingers. "If there was one thing I missed," he murmured, "It was the cherry blossoms."

It took them a little while, but they made it into town. As they were walking through one of the streets, Hanzo quickly pulled the other into an alley. Before the southerner could protest, he saw the problem. Two Shimada henchmen were across the street, not paying them any mind.

"They'll easily recognize me," he muttered. "I need them to avoid suspicion until tonight."

The gunslinger cocked his head. "What's tonight?"

He looked up at McCree, a pained look on his face. "It is the anniversary of my brother's passing." Before the other could consult him, he added, "Tonight, I'm breaking into the Shimada castle to honor him."

The look on his face was enough to make Jesse not question him.

•~•

Nightfall came sooner than either of them wanted it to. Despite that, Hanzo still persisted. The sun was still setting when they made it to the castle gate.

"So... What's the plan again?" the American asked, taking in the castle. The place was huge, but the archer told him the room he was visiting was close to the entrance, so it wasn't much of an issue.

"When the sun has finally set, we'll slip inside. I'll take out whatever guards are out, and you'll get the remaining ones. I'll then sneak into the room and you'll stand guard outside. If a guard comes, either take him out or..." He trailed off, staring at something in the distance.

Oblivious, McCree asked, "Or what?"

Without warning, the ravenet grabbed him by his serape and tugged him forward. Quietly, he whispered, "Kiss me."

Jesse's face flushed red. "I beg yer pardon?"

"Kisses. Public affection makes people uncomfortable."

"Then wh-" Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a Shimada employee making their way towards them. It finally clicked for him and he finished pulling Hanzo towards him.

Their lips locked, and they both froze in shock. The cowboy could feel the heat rushing to both of their faces. The approaching footsteps grew louder and the Shimada started to kiss him more passionately.

To his surprise, he returned it. It felt like they were both fighting to do better than the other. Eventually, the footsteps stopped. A moment later, they disappeared into the distance. When they vanished entirely, the two broke apart.

Hanzo was flustered mess, and his eyes were wide and glazed over. He brought his hand to his lips and brushed them, seeming dazed. "That was... Very convincing..."

McCree nodded, realizing his mouth was numb. "Yeah... Ya didn't mind it, did ya?"

The archer started to sputter. "Wh- I- Quiet, you!" With a huff, he pushed the gate open. Jesse couldn't help but wonder what that was about.

They snuck inside soundly, and the Asian took out the guards even more soundly. The hallway was cleared in a bout five minutes.

"Alright, keep watch for me," he told the brunet. "Don't get distracted."

He watched as Hanzo disappeared inside one of the rooms. "I'll try..." he murmured, surveying the hallway. He pressed his back to the wall and sighed.

Just then, he heard static in his ear.

"This is Commander Reyes of Blackwatch, do you copy?"

He jumped, swearing under his breath. He brought his hand to his ear and hissed, "Gabe! This is kinda a bad time-"

"I just need to know if you've arrived or not."

"For fuck's sake, boss, we've-"

He stopped short when he heard footsteps. At the end of the hallway, a guard appeared. He could sight of the cowboy and started shouting in Japanese.

In a moment of panic, his revolver materialized in his hand and fired. The sound of the gun sent many people into a panic. On his comm, he heard his boss say, "Jesse? What's going on?"

He rolled his eyes and slipped his gun back into his holster. "I'll call ya back, ya hear?"

Hanzo then reappeared at the doorway. "We're suppose to keep a low profile!"

"That's a little out the window right now," he grumbled, hearing the sound of footsteps and shouting. His gaze travelled into the room behind the ravenet. "Speakin' of windows, y'think we could get out that one?"

The other spun around, noticing what he was talking about. "We could, if we act quickly."

"And how are we suppose t' do that?"

Hanzo's gaze was cold and calculated. "We climb."

And with that, the Shimada bounded up the wall as if it was nothing. McCree watched in both awe and confusion. "I'm not Spider-Man, dammit!"

"Just try!" The archer was holding his arm down, ready to grab him. The southerner glanced at his injured arm and took a deep breath. With his good arm, he grabbed onto the other's arm and used his boot to push himself up. Hanzo pulled him the rest of the way, and he toppled onto the ledge beside him. Barely having time to stand, he was dragged towards the window.

"On three. One... Two..."

The door bursted open, and three guards tumbled in. Without waiting on him, Jesse took the other's hand and shouted, "Three!"

They jumped out the window, seeing the ground rushing up towards them. They let go of each other halfway through the fall. While the Asian landed gracefully on his feet, the gunslinger had to roll. He winced when his injured arm hit the ground. Seconds later, he felt the other tug him to his feet and they started running.

"Y'know what, Han?" McCree said as they ran. "This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation."

Despite their circumstances, Hanzo bursted out laughing.