Inside Your Heaven - Chapter 19

Chapter 19

The Weight of Consequence

            “I have some bad news,” Terrence said as soon as he got out of his truck. “I misplaced your sonogram.”

            “What?!” Cassidy almost shouted. “When?”

            “Just now,” Terrence replied, starting to panic. “I just came from the hospital and now it’s gone!”

            “Okay, calm down,” Cassidy said in a soothing voice, pulling Terrence into the house and making him sit down. “Let’s just think about this for a minute. Where have you been for the last five minutes?”

            “In my truck,” Terrence replied. “It’s not there.”

            “Have you checked under the seats?”

            “Yeah, I did. It’s not there, too.”

            “How about at the hospital?”

            Terrence stopped short. He thought about it for a minute. After he got the sonogram, he went to visit Dawson. He had it still that time, and when he left…

            “It’s still on Dawson’s bedside table,” Terrence replied, realization dawning on him.

            “Why’s Dawson in the hospital?” Cassidy asked, confused.

            “A vase got smashed on his head,” Terrence explained. “He was kept under observation for 24 hours, and… Oh no…

            “What is it?”

            “He’s leaving today.”

            Terrence suddenly stood up and ran for the door.

            “Where are you going?” Cassidy asked.

            “Sorry, baby, daddy’s going for a really quick trip back at the hospital,” Terrence said, patting Cassidy’s stomach. “I’ll be back later, promise,” he said to Cassidy.

            “Sure, we’ll be waiting,” Cassidy said as she saw Terrence get into his truck and drive off.

            Please, let it be there… Terrence thought desperately as he came nearer to the hospital. Please just let it be there…

            “Are you sure we shouldn’t leave the CD with the nurse?” Angel asked Dawson as they went out of the hospital. “He’s sure to come back for it.”

            “Yeah, I’m sure,” Dawson said, staring at the CD as the both of them got into Angel’s Porsche. “I want to talk to him about him.”

            Angel started the engine and turned to him.

            “You’re not going to do anything bad to him, are you?” Angel asked him, dreading the possibility.

            To assure her, Dawson held her hand.

            “He’s my best buddy,” Dawson said with a smile. “I just need to talk it out with him and smoothen things out.”

            She still had doubts, but somehow, she found she could trust his word.

            “So… let’s see how you drive,” Dawson said giddily.