Inside Your Heaven - Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Meant to be…?

            “Well, here we are, our momentary happy ending,” Dawson said, waving a hand towards her door.

            “Momentary happy ending?” Angel asked, raising her eyebrows. “What are you talking about?”

            “Isn’t this how dates always end?” Dawson replied, placing his hands behind his head, feeling all comfortable around Angel. “The boy always takes the girl up to the front steps of her home, which, in your case, is the door of your dorm?”

            Angel chuckled. “That is indeed true,” Angel said in agreement.

            “Well then, before I say good night, can you turn around?” Dawson asked.

            “Sure…” Angel complied, and when her back was facing him, she felt something slightly cold snake up around her neck.

            “And… there, all done,” Dawson said, and she turned back to face him. He was smiling widely, examining something on her neck. Curious, she felt for it, and on her neck was some sort of necklace with a dolphin pendant on it.

            “Oh, Dawson,” Angel said breathlessly. “I don’t know if should have this…” she reached for the necklace’s clasp, but Dawson’s hands stopped her with a single touch.

            “I want you to have it,” Dawson said with intense emotions, and before she could register what was happening, Dawson took a step closer, and slowly, he was bending down.

            Oh my… Don’t tell me…

            She felt her breath on her ear, tickling her slightly.

            “I’ll… see you again soon… my Angel…” Dawson said, and with the lightest touch, he kissed her right cheek.

            “Angel, when are you —” they both heard Gwen’s voice issue from the suddenly opened door, and when Gwen saw them, her eyes went as wide as small glass orbs.

            “Oh!” Gwen said, placing a hand on her lips as she registered what was happening. “I’m so sorry… I’ll just… let you do your thing…”

            Angel heard her giggle before closing the door.

            When they were well alone, they stared at one another for one long moment, and then they cracked up hard.

            “Well… that was… awkward…” Angel said in between fits of laughter.

            “Yeah… it… it is…” Dawson said, almost not making words out of laughing hard.

            It was a while before they had the will to stop.

            “Well, I guess I’ll see you around,” Dawson said when they both sobered up. “Good night, Angel,” he added as he turned and walked towards the elevator.

            “Good night, Dawson!” she called after him, and he waved back before entering the elevator.

            Well, if she was a chocolate bar right now, she would’ve melted into syrup.

            “So… you got caught red handed by Gwen, huh?” Terrence said by the end of Dawson’s narration. “And the both of you cracked up afterwards?”

            “Yup… that’s right,” Dawson confirmed. “I mean, it was so awkward when Gwen caught us that it was so hard to stay serious for long…”

            He and Dawson were out in were out in the balcony of their room, cooling off before going to bed. Dawson continued his little rant, and Terrence watched him out of the periphery of his vision. He had never seen his best bud so happy like this. It is true that he had just met her, but the level of happiness he was showing was nothing compared to when he was with Amanda.

            “Why did you and Amanda became a couple again?” Terrence blurted out.

            Dawson stopped ranting and stared at him. He wasn’t angry or sad; he was more like confused.

            “To be honest, I thought she changed,” Dawson replied, looking out into the black smoothness of the ocean. “She was more considerate, kinder, and surer about herself. Or at least… that’s what I’ve been telling myself…”

            Terrence let that sink in for a moment.

            “Y’know man, I think you just came back to her because you are still looking for something that isn’t there anymore,” Terrence said insightfully. “The Amanda you knew just before she became someone special to you is clearly not there, then and now…”

            “What do you mean?” Dawson asked.

            “Well, you have eyes, haven’t you?” was Terrence’s vague reply. “You got to see it, or else you’ll just end up stuck in a situation where you just can’t escape from...”

            Both of them lapsed in silence for one infinitesimal moment.

            “And… what about Angel?” Terrence added.

            “What about her?” Dawson asked again.

            “Well, you’ve been acting different around her, and she’s not even your girlfriend,” Terrence pointed out. “You went out on a date with her yesterday at the party, and then again today at the oceanarium. You even gave her a necklace. sound familiar?”

            Dawson thought about it for a moment before answering.

            “Well, I don’t know what is happening between me and her, to be honest,” Dawson replied. “But what I know is that she is someone extremely special to me… someone whom I can be anything just for her…”

            Terrence just kept silent, a small smile spreading across his face.

            Tracy was right in bringing the two of you together… He thought. I don’t know if Angel is the right one, but… for sure, the two of you will go a long way…