Chapter 15

I watched carefully, making sure there weren't any lights following me. The guilt continued to boil in my stomach. The nerves caressing my tendons as if it was the last thing they would ever feel.

The cold air kissed my skin. Just like the first night when I had lost the net. My heart was racing and I couldn't help but look over my shoulder a few more times. The girl lay gently on the floorboards of my boat. There was no way I could allow the world to see her. She was too beautiful, and maybe I would hurt Johnny but he deserved better. Once my house sold he would get all the money and I would be out of his life.

I knew there would be anger after I did this but the thought of the mermaid all over the television was enough to drive any normal man crazy. The thought of Debbie and Johnny actually allowing them to go through with it had messed with my mind. Making me question everything I'd ever known about them.

I knew that was just the stress talking.

I wish I would have been able to say goodbye to them. I thought as I pushed the handle further forward. I wasn't sure how far I was going to go out, but I need I needed to get out far enough that she would drift somewhere else if the rope had broke before she was fully decomposed. The skin around her face had started to droop itself. The water hadn't helped slow down the decomposition process, but now it wouldn't be an issue.

I quickly tied the string around the end of her fin, right before it fanned out before getting to work on the second string that was supposed to go around her torso. I did my best tying it in the safest knot I knew. I needed it to last a long time. At least a few weeks under the oceans water.

Once the strings were tied I pulled the weight, only a forty pound rock towards the edge of the boat. I had hoped it would be enough to keep her down. Knowing there wouldn't be any struggle from her on the other side. I managed to pushed it over the edge of the boat, as it splashes in the water it pulls the mermaid with it. I watched carefully as her body sinks further into the water. I knew it was deep her, my eyes straining to see her in the darkness of the night.

Hopefully Johnny would forgive me. Hopefully Debbie would forgive me, and hopefully I had made the right decision. An overwhelming sense of relief rushed over me as soon as the body was gone.

I wasn't going to be around tomorrow for the aftermath. I should have told them. I felt awful about the way they were going to feel. I just couldn't go through with it though.

The boat rocks slowly on the waves. They were larger out here. I was probably around thirty miles away from the shore. I was lucky that the waves were gentle, I knew my boat wouldn't make it through a storm and that was the risk I was willing to take. Carefully I leaned back against the chair. I knew it was going to be a long night. I'd have to wait at least a few hours to make sure she actually stayed on the bottom.

Hopefully something would feast on her, leaving nothing behind for anyone to find. I believed the creatures of the deep needed to stay hidden. They weren't meant for facebook live, or whatever the hell it was called again.

I searched the night sky, watching carefully for any shooting stars. I could use a wishing star right about now. The seat was cool on the back of my neck, sending chills down my spine as I slowly begin to drift to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later. A larger wave capped over the edge of the boat spraying me with water. I shook my head wiping my pants as I tried to get my wits about myself. Another wave was coming, growing larger by the second. I knew this one would come over the deck as well and that would be just fine. I was prepared for it this time. I stumbled as the boat rotated with the water before settling on the other side of the wave. I quickly made my way to the driver's seat, searching for any sign her body had appeared on the ocean surface.

There was no signs anywhere. Swallowing the lump in my throat I guess it was time to head back. I shook my head sending a quick silent prayer to the heavens above that she would forever be contained under the oceans protection.

The journey home was calming. I felt like I had accomplished something good today and even though Johnny and Debbie wouldn't be happy about it, I'd start working towards earning some money, every penny I could get my hands on I would send to them. I would sell my home and use my boat as my living space. Maybe I would leave the Sinclair Inlet, the place I had called home since Johnny and I left the service over thirty years ago.

But if that's what I had to do to make some money, then that is what I would do. I let out a deep breath of air as I pulled into the pier. I'd have to head in and cover all of my charges but as soon as those were paid off I would cancel my dock and use the ocean as my own pier.

There would be no one to help me dig myself out of my very own hole. But as least I knew I wasn't going to sell out the life of someone else to make the money needed to fix my life. Even if it took the rest of my life I would know I could live happy knowing that I did the right thing.

I just hope Johnny and Debbie would trust me, know that I didn't do it to hurt them. But unfortunately I'd never get to tell them.

I turned to look at the water, maybe I would sell the boat too. I'd become a traveler. I didn't need to fish, I'd learn my lesson. It was time to get a new hobby.

I hadn't realized it at first but when dropping the mermaid over the edge of the boat I was dropping part of my heart there too. Forever living under the waves with the beautiful mermaids.