Chapter 12

"Do you really think the college campus would want to help us?"Debbie seemed the most worried out of the three of us. She had the hardest time dealing with the fact that it was a once living creature. I shook my head kicking at the ground. Maybe they wouldn't want to help us at first, but if we took the risk of showing them, they would want to help afterwards. They could dissect the mermaid and really get to know how these creatures work. Maybe it would be a good thing.

They are obviously living among us. The creatures just surviving on land with the rest of humankind. No one has seen them before, there were always stories but they were fake attempts at a fisherman's tale. Nothing compared to the proof we had.

"It's our best bet," I muttered. There was no reason to deny it. If we just went to the new stations they would think we were insane and that could hurt us more than it helped us. If we used it for a beneficial reason then everyone would be happy with it, at least with the way it came out.

"It would give the students a really good chance to learn in a hands on assignment," Johnny chuckled and I knew him well enough to know that it wasn't out of humor. He was uncomfortable, his body trembling, but finally he hand enough strength to get up off the bench.

"Is that what we are going to do then?" I question, looking around the room. The more I thought about it the worse everything got. This poor girl didn't deserve what we were doing to her. She had friends, and if the mermaids really lived on land then they would see the news story as well. How horrible would that be for them to see their sister, friend, daughter, whatever her story was, if they saw her cut open on television.

Could we really do that?

"I guess," Debbie let out a deep breath, the worry still clear on her face. She wrapped her hands around her husband burying her face into his chest as she allowed the tears to fall slowly down her cheeks. The pain still rang through my heart. I hadn't realized it would have been such a big deal, at least not at first. The further we delve into this situation the worse things seemed to get.

"So tomorrow morning I will drive up to the college and explain to the headmaster what we are thinking about doing, see if I can do some convincing," Johnny mumbled consoling his wife at the same time.

"I'll come with you," I muttered, trying to be as helpful as possible. I wasn't sure if this was going to ruin our friendship, I couldn't imagine anything that would. Our bond was strong, but I'd been such a horrible friend and If I were him, this would be the last straw.

"No," Johnny's voice was stern, he pulled away from his wife turning towards me. We need someone here to make sure no one sees her. Debbie can't take care of that all by herself, especially if she plans on running the business without drawing any suspicions to herself. You will work here tomorrow, you will be on storage duty, meaning anything anyone needs you will be in charge of it. No questions about it," Johnny clapped his hands turning around quickly on his heel. He led the group out of the storage room and towards the offices.

"We will keep the door locked all day, no one else will know that you are here," He turned to continue as he spoke. Part of me appreciated that he finally had a plan, something I could work with. This was the Johnny I had wanted when I first showed him the creature. I nodded my head agreeing with everything he had said.

"Sounds like a plan," I muttered. Debbie scoffed as she left the room, leaving Johnny and I to ourselves.

"Why is she so mad at me?" I ask after a few moments of awkward silence had passed. I knew she wasn't my biggest fan but she has never hated me so badly and openly.

"She is under a lot of pressure right now and this doesn't really help. She is being forced to retire from her job, the only thing that was helping us put food on our plates," Johnny was filled with stress, I could see it in his eyes. I guess I'd never really paid enough attention to realize it before hand.

"I'm so sorry I've been such a terrible friend. Don't pay me anymore, I'll sell my house and live on my boat, you can keep all the money from it, it should get you about two hundred grand once it is all said and done and everything is paid off. I'm so sorry man," the words slipped from my lips like a fire hydrant that was exploding. I needed to make it up to them and whether he would accept my help or not I would sell my house. I had nothing there that I needed.

"Tyler you are insane," He muttered. I shook my head.

"It's going on the market tonight," I had never spoken words that were so true in my entire life. The idea of allowing him to continue to struggle in his life was not okay with me. The money from the mermaid could go all to him, he'd taken care of me long enough.

My heart was racing as I thought of the girl who must have died all alone. The thought of being crushed by a three hundred pound weight was enough to bring me to my knees. I couldn't even imagine how she must have felt. The more I thought about it, the more the guilt begin to rush over me.

I couldn't let her become a science experiment. I needed to pray that they don't let him explain anything at the college tomorrow. I had to stop this somehow.

I would fix all of this if it was the last thing I've ever done.