Chapter 04

"Tyler what the hell are you doing here?" I looked up to the smiling face of the man I'd served with in the war around forty years ago. I couldn't help but smile in response. He'd moved on from the events we'd gone through. His life filled with joy, with a wife and three children. He'd done his best to help me get back on my feet but I guess it just wasn't in the cards for me.

At times my boat was broken he would allow me to come help out at the local aquarium, to work with the mechanics and the fish and still make enough to get myself some dinner.

"Boats broke," I mumbled. He wrapped his arms around me pulling me into a hug as he always did. He'd been so protective of me over the years, as if he was an older brother. His kids were all grown up now and having babies of their own, and he couldn't be more excited about it. He would always invite me over for thanksgiving and Christmas since he knew i'd be celebrating on my own. Sometimes I'd take him up on his offer, other times I'd use it as a chance to hit the water without any other fisherman to worry about.

"Again?" Johnny wiped the sweat from his forehead as he kicked at the ground. I nodded my head searching his eyes.

"Yeah, the weighted system broke this morning causing me to lose my net, they are supposed to be fixing it, they should have it ready for me by the time morning comes,"

"When will you ever be able to catch a break man?" Johnny questions placing his hand on my back as he pulls me towards the aquarium. "Lucky for you, we got a new fish today so we have to work on putting the tank together and getting the decorations all set up," I nodded my head following his gentle pull.

I knew Johnny would help me, and take care of me today. Hopefully I'd be able to make enough to eat tonight and then tomorrow I'd have to spend extra long out on the water to try and recoup from the money spent on repairs. Maybe I'd even be able to break even. I shook my head trying my best to not focus on the boat. My entire life was wrapped up in that old vessel. The newer models fared much better but I couldn't imagine giving her up for another. Maybe if I did then I wouldn't have to deal with these repairs anymore.

"So what do you want to do then?" Johnny turns to look at me. I shook my head realizing I hadn't heard a single word he had said. Stuttering I pulled the pack of cigarettes out of my pocket again. Johnny's eyes dropped down to the cancer sticks and he looked disappointed. We had both picked up the habit on deployment but while he was bettering himself to raise a family he decided to quit. My habit had only gotten worse.

"Whatever you need me to do," I figured that would be a safe answer. I'd be willing to help with anything. I'd have Johnny's back until the day I died as I know he would have mine. A small sense of pain fluttered into my chest at the thought of missing everything he had said.

"Tyler, are you okay? You smell ridiculously of alcohol," Johnny was cautious with how he spoke. The words falling from his lips carefully, and very well thought out. I nodded my head taking a deep inhale of the tobacco.

"Yep," I muttered. The word much harsher than I had meant it to be. I didn't mean to act this way with him. He knew me better than to deal with the bullshit I would throw out at people. His hand shot up as he grabbed the cigarette from between my teeth, throwing it on the ground he stomped it out before heading back towards the building.

"Knock that shit off, don't mess with me. I can tell you are drunk, now let's get to work before you spiral even further," He nodded his head. I stumbled on my thoughts as well as my steps, trying my best to follow him but I was honestly in shock with his response to the cigarette. He'd never fought me about my smoking. Making comments here and there that I should stop but he knew I was as stubborn as they got.

"We are going to put all of these live rocks in the water, do you have your waders today?" He searched my attire realizing I was only wearing jeans. I shook my head. Of course I didn't have my waders but I'd make due with what I had.

"Just get me some boots, I'll be fine," I muttered. Johnny nodded, I'm sure he wasn't really in the mood to fight about it.

We dug around in the new fish tank for hours, working on placing all of the rocks perfectly as we lay them across the bottom of the water. The jagged edges dug into my skin, tearing at the thin skin on my hands. The calluses not helping in this moment.

Things were coming together and I was starting to get excited with how it would look once it was finally filled with water. There was something about working here and seeing the smiles on the kids face as they look at all the fish, especially the sharks. They would go crazy for the large creatures that we as fisherman would see almost every day in the wild.

The hose was pumping water into the tank as quickly as it could, at about sixty gallons per minute. The tank would take a couple hours to fill up, the plumbing was all taken care of and after the water had settled for a little while we would finally be able to release the new fish into the freshly groomed tank. Johnny would have to work on cleaning other tanks and while he did that I walked around and picked up some garbage.

That night at around closing we met up ready to release the fish. I shook my head, rubbing my hands together, I was ready to call it a night. Johnny dropped the fish as the rest of the employees cheered as it explored it's new home.

"Now if only we had a mermaid," One of the girls joked, nudging one of her friends. "Like the ones they have in Vegas,"