Chapter 13

The next morning was harder than I had thought it was going to be. I didn't realize spending the entire day with the mermaid would be so difficult. I hadn't brought anything to keep me entertained, and other than the quick little venture into the office to ask Debbie for some lunch, I'd been stuck in this room studying the mermaid.

Her fin the color of an opal, her hair silver like a fox hiding in a winter storm. She was a beautiful girl and god if I had been thirty years younger she would be the kind of creature I would go for. I found myself wondering if she had a lover. Did mermaids have boyfriends, if they lived with us on land they would follow the same customs that we did wouldn't they?

I wanted to know everything that had happened in her life, the way she did her makeup, where she went to school, how many there were like her? What would her family think? Was someone looking for her? I shook my head trying to clear all of the thoughts out of it. The ideas and dreams overwhelming me. I hadn't heard anything from Johnny and I decided maybe it was time to venture out into the lobby once more for either a soda or a quick chat with Debbie.

My legs were wobbly, from sitting on the chair for far too long. My body locking up at the joints from the lack of movement. I hated getting old and that was the one thing I was envious with the girl in the tank. She may be a freak in our eyes but at least she would never get old. Her beauty would always be captured in the way it was at its best.

Had I come across a mermaid before? The idea of them living in the waters so close to our homes drove me crazy. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and here I was, trying to figure out how I was going to go through with it. I need to get these thoughts out of my head. I need to understand that this was a creature, she wasn't a person. Though Johnny had seen her, had spoke to her before she died... or I killed her?

I scoffed kicking at the ground. I needed to stop being so hard on myself. There was nothing I could do to take it back now. There wasn't a magic fairy that would show up and allow me to wish her her to come back to life. I glanced up at the ceiling.

"That would be cool," I muttered, not realizing I had said it as loud as I had. I closed the distance between the lobby and myself. I knew Debbie would be out there welcoming all the newest customers. The kids that would come to see the new sea bass exhibit we had set up not too long ago. I shook my head, it felt like years ago. The days slowly ticking by. Everything was happening at the same time, yet nothing was moving fast enough.

"Debbie?" I questioned, cautiously taking my steps as I made my way to the desk she sat behind.

"Now what the hell do you want? I got your sandwich for you, head back to your room," She snarled typing away on the computer in front of her.

"Look, I'm so sorry for everything I have put your family through. You guys deserved so much better," I tried my best, tapping my fingers on the desk. There was no reason for us to have this conversation right now, but as much as I needed to make it up to her I knew it wasn't going to happen any time soon.

"Not good enough," she continued to type, not even giving me the eye contact I deserved. I looked around her desk. An image of her three kids was taped to the inside so she could see it as she typed.

"How are they doing?" Maybe I was overstepping my grounds but I felt like it was better than just leaving the conversation in such a bitter way. She rolled her eyes turning to look at me.

"What do you want Tyler?" Her words were less harsh, this time they were filled with exhaustion. Like she couldn't believe we were still talking even though she had tried pushing me away so many times.

"Have you heard from Johnny?" I figured it would be better to just leave her alone. Johnny had said she was under a lot of stress and I shouldn't add to that by bugging her. I'd get my answer and then head back to the storage room.

She nods pausing for a moment as if she had something to say, her lips drop open but then she quickly closes them to turn back to her computer. I froze, waiting eagerly for whatever snarky comment was going to escape her next.

"He is on his way back, he will come talk to you as soon as he is, but it sounds like it's good news," She dropped her head back to the computer but her attention fell to her nails. She picked at the corners of her nail beds, pulling the skin up until she couldn't get it anymore.

"Thank you," I muttered heading back to the storage room.

My heart sank as soon as she said it had been good news. There was no way they said yes. The idea of walking into a college administrative office and asking them if they would like to dissect a mermaid was the most insane thing I had ever heard of. I scoffed looking at the creature that had caused so much stress the last couple of days. I needed to get rid of her before she became a freakshow.

I strolled around the storage room, tidying up things as I went. Working till my fingers hurt for the last couple of hours I was there. My mind wondering what news Johnny would have for me.

Hopefully it wouldn't be too bad. Maybe we would be able to figure this out anyways. Maybe we could get the best of both worlds. They would pay us and keep the creatures a secret.

Just maybe.