Chapter 03

I threw the used napkin onto the plate in front of me. The wings tasted the exact same as they always have and they weren't something to write home about. I hated that I came here so often, hated that my boat was old and rickety enough that I couldn't even make it through a single day of fishing.

I threw enough money to cover my food down on the table before grabbing my jacket and heading back down to the pier. The earth seemed shaky below my feet. The ground uneven as I tried to take careful methodical steps. I needed to get back to the pier so I could talk to the repairman.

It wasn't crowded so it was easy to find my way around. The effects of the alcohol taking their grips quickly. I'd be fine though. I shook my head listening to the soft thuds of the soles of my shoes on the wood. The water washing on the shore as the tide begins to slowly make it's way out. The repair shop was open, and a tiny boy with brown hair ran it very well.

Dropping his pencil onto the counter he looked up at me as I opened the office door. Hobbling across the tile I leaned against the counter getting as close as I needed to so I could hear what he was saying.

"I need my boat fixed," I could feel the words slurring on my lips as I tried my best to hold my composure. He looked up from his keyboard, this obviously wasn't abnormal for me.

"What's wrong now Tyler?" He questions, using my first name. I hated when he used my first name like that. Deciding it wasn't important to fight about it now I figured if I wanted my boat back by tomorrow I better just work with him.

"My net fell off, the weighted pulley broke and I need a new one, for both." I shook my head. Did that even make sense?

"Sir, you need both a new net and a new weighted pulley system?" The younger man asks. Shit what was his name again?

"Yes," I leaned on the counter a little harder now, the scent of alcohol wafting around me.

"And let me guess, you want it done by tomorrow?" His words were almost insulting. Of course I wanted it done tomorrow, was he a damn idiot? I slammed my fist on the counter.

"How the hell am I supposed to make money if I don't have my boat! Yes I want it done for tomorrow morning," I groaned, stumbling backwards slightly. The young man behind the counter watched me carefully and all I could think about was how he took everything for granted. One day he would be just like me and then he would see how horrible things really are. How life can really kick you down. Everyone else gets better but you are just old, trying to play the same game.

"Okay Tyler, I will have that done for you tomorrow, don't worry about payment today. We will get that figured out when you are a little more sober," The younger guy started writing in his notebook. I leaned across the counter trying to see what he was putting in his notes. The words were all blurred together and I decided it wasn't important. If he wanted to talk shit than he could.

I waved at him, nodding my head as I turned to stumble my way out of the door. Standing outside of the little shack in the middle of the dock, I stopped for a moment to stare up towards the sky.

The sun was warm against my skin. Closing my eyes I allowed it to wash over me. Living in Washington could leave you depressed. The sun hiding away for days on end, leaving you with a form of seasonal depression. I shook my head feeling the negativity wash away only slightly.

"Tyler, do you need net clean up and recovery as well or are you going to take care of that?" The same voice as inside the building interrupts my moment. I turned to glare at him, letting out a low growl.

"Take. Care. Of. It," I gritted my teeth, taking the last few steps away from the pier. Anything I could do to get away from everyone else. I shook my head realizing there was someone I needed to go see. Someone who did help when I was caught in a funk. Maybe he'd have something I could help him do today, at least then I would be able to pass the time.

I glanced at the old Chevy truck in the parking lot. Taking in the shiny blue and white two toned paint, the rims sparkling in the sunshine, nearly as bright as the bumpers.

"Shit!" I shouted, as I turned to start walking down the sidewalk. I knew I was too wasted to drive right now. Glancing down at my watch I realized it would take a little over twenty minutes to walk to the aquarium.

"Why does this always happen to me?" I whispered in a low raspy breath. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad for me to get a little exercise in today. With that thought I begin down the walkway on the side of the road. Cars floored it past, going way faster than the speed limit. Shaking my head I turned to look at the military base once more. The boats standing proud as they sit in a dormant state. Most of the boats in the shipyard were under construction. Getting upgrades and new weaponry. At least that's what all the other fisherman's would say. I scoffed once again. Of course that's what all of them would say. They were all just trying to make up their own stories, each one more insane than the last.

Everyone wanted to be the best.

The steps seemed to get easier, the sun shining higher in the sky by the time I reached the aquarium. I knew tomorrow I'd be sore, my body already aching as I tried my best to keep up my pace. If I wanted to help out I'd need all the energy I could manage.