Chapter 02

Once the net was fully detached from the boat and out of the way of all mechanisms below I rushed to the wheel. Quickly flooring the boat I rushed back towards the pier. Not giving a shit about everyone shouting from their vessels.

They would be yelling things like 'slow down' and 'keep the wake down', and at this moment I didn't give a damn about any of it. I had just lost over a grand before ten in the morning. Lost anything I could have possibly earned today. Shaking my head I bit my bottom lip trying to force all my anger into the pain.

Throwing my finger towards all of the larger boats on the water. Things used to be so much better, I used to be a respected fisherman. Used to journey these waters and bring back the biggest catch. Then net fishing became a thing and I just couldn't keep up. It wasn't my game, as it didn't feel like fishing to me. But there was no money in rod fishing anymore as you could catch twenty times more in one net than you could with a rod.

I only slowed down to pull my boat into it's paid spot in the yacht yard. It was categorized as a work vessel, meaning it had to park as far away as possible. Leaving room for the prettier yachts in the front of the pier. The ones that would draw the tourists in, making them want to rent of boat. I didn't mind, especially for the nights I would spend on my boat. The quiet was nice.

I shut the engine on allowing it to coast into the floating dock. I groan as my body continues to ache slightly. I needed to catch the boat before it strayed too far, or worse into another vessel.

Taking the large step from the boat to the dock I flipped around as quickly as my legs would allow me, bending over as far as my back would give and reached for the edge. Grabbing one of the hook I quickly tied the rope around it, securing each side of the boat before hobbling up the pier.

I wondered if I had a family if they would worry about me out here. Fishing on my own? Maybe if I had ever had kids, they would come out with me, making fishing more fun. I'd never married. The water was always my wife and now that I was going on my late sixties I figured there wasn't any time left for romance. I couldn't have children, I wouldn't live long enough to see them graduate. I'd missed out on the things in life I should have done.

I pulled the pack of cigarettes out of my pocket, pulling a fresh one out of the pack and placing it between my lips. Coughing the best I could as my lips stay wrapped around the filter. If I had a wife, or kids someone would have yelled at me years ago to quit these things, but there wasn't anyone to care. It was always just me and my fishing.

There had been girls here and there, girls that I really thought might last a while. They never did. Always coming second to my livelihood. They just couldn't handle it. I spit on the ground once more finally pulling out my lighter. Lighting the cigarette I took a deep inhale allowing the chemicals to soothe my lungs. The calming feeling quickly taking over.

My steps drew me closer to the bar. Not the fancy one that all the fisherman would take their wives too when they were around. The one were a drink was nearly twenty dollars just because they can. I shook my head disgusted by the uppity people that lived here. I traveled across the street to the bar that was hidden in the strip mall. Beer was seven dollars on a normal day, and five during happy hour. Today I would be able to experience both.

They knew me as soon as I entered the door, and If my vision wasn't worse I would have sworn they all rolled their eyes in displeasure. Scoffing at them I took my regular booth in the corner, my eyes scrolling over the television. I had nowhere to go, so I would sit here and watch whatever garbage they had on until I couldn't take it anymore.

The waitress quickly brought out a glass of water and set a coaster down for my beer. She knew what I was having.

"Same thing?" She questioned, holding her best smile. I nodded waiving for her to leave me alone. I rubbed my hands together looking around the bar. It wasn't as busy as normal. I nodded my head feeling better as I took another drag off my cigarette. I knew someone would come tell me I'd have to put it out, and I'd do it on the table. Once again adding to the burn marks that were already here. One day they would learn their lesson.

She quickly dropped the beer off before rushing away to another table. I threw my hand in the air waiting for her to notice but she never looked in my direction.

"Damn girls," I growled to no one in particular. I couldn't be mad at anyone but myself.

I picked up the large mug taking a large gulp of the golden liquid allowing it to tickle my tongue as it drifts down my throat. The refreshing beer soothing all the aches under my skin. This was exactly what I needed.

The T.V. rolled through a few clips of the college football game. I nodded my head trying my best to stay interested in what it was saying. The college team this year was doing well...I guess. It meant nothing to me though. The new castor appeared on the screen talking about things like the depth of high tide, and at what time it would be. Other things that didn't really pertain to the rest of my day. Considering my boat was once again... broken.