Chapter 06

I continued to pull at the scales, until there was a pile big enough that I was finally able to convince myself they were real. The fin looked too good to be a dupe, but I couldn't imagine a thing as brilliant as this being able to exist on this earth. How had she died? Mermaids were supposed to be able to breath under water and here I was dissecting the fin of a mermaid that had drowned.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I needed to hide her, I needed to get back to the shore and get rid of the body. But for some reason I just sat there, on the floor of my boat staring at her. This was the catch of a lifetime and honestly this could be worth more than any other fish I could have caught. Maybe I could find more mermaids? I'd be a millionaire within hours. There was nothing that could stop me. Maybe I could get that much just with her... The thoughts kept creeping into my head. I had to show Johnny. Though his aquarium was family owned, and didn't get that many people coming in throughout the winter months, this would really bring them in.

I shook my head grabbing more towels as I tucked her closer to the edge of the boat, hoping to blend her in with the seams. Putting all of the towels over her I rushed back to the seat of the boat. The sooner I could get to Johnny the quicker we could get this whole thing figured out.

I floored the boat yet again going faster than I was supposed to in the inlet. The water trailing my boat in a wake so big the other fishing boats would be cursing my name yet again. They could have the water though, today I had other things to do. There was a meaning in my life once again, and as the excitement and happiness begin to fill my veins I could still feel a sense of worry.

What if the wrong person found out about this?

I pulled into the dock closest to the aquarium. I'd have to leave the boat but hopefully for only a little while. Johnny usually didn't make me wait. I quickly docked it, tying the ropes so tight I knew they weren't going to go anywhere. My heart was racing at the thought of leaving her alone. I glanced over her body once again to make sure it didn't look out of place, until I realized her fin was sticking out of the bottom of the towels, the fanning of it was larger then the towel. I shook my head. It'd look weird If I piled another towel there.

The white of her fin would blend in with the rest of the boat but where it lingered over the wood it would stand out like a sore thumb. The colors so contrasting against each other. I shook my head jumping back into the boat allowing it to rock as it bounces against the dock.

I had to get inside to get Johnny before it got too busy and he wouldn't have time to travel down to the pier. Technically this was parking for his business but it wasn't in clear sight of the building. I shook my head finally satisfied with how well I had her hidden. She was only slightly in the sun and I hoped as the day continued on a few clouds would roll in to keep her concealed.

I jumped off the boat and sent off through the parking lot at a run. My legs didn't pull me as quickly as they used to and this frustrated me, but as I got closer to the aquarium I found myself getting the last little push of energy I needed.

"Johnny!" I shouted, running into the aquarium like a bat out of hell. I needed to find him and quickly. The building wasn't that big but it was easy to lose each other if you weren't careful.

Thankfully he quickly rushed around the corner yelling back at me.

"Tyler what the hell is wrong with you?!" He shouted back, as he pushed me back outside. "You are going to scare the parents, I have a school field trip here today," He nodded his head towards all the cars in the parking lot and the giant yellow school bus. I hadn't even noticed any of these on my mad dash into the building.

"I need you to come look at my boat real quick," I muttered, the words falling out of my mouth like they were on fire, and the only way to save myself was to expel them.

"What are you insane? I have to stay here for the field trip," He shook his head. I wanted to punch him, the anger beginning to build up in my chest. I wasn't suggesting he come to the boat I was saying he had to.

"Johnny, I'm asking this of you, I promise it will be worth your time if you please just come down to the boat right now, there is no time to waste," I knew he was mulling over what I said, the look in his eyes told me he was confused as of what was going on and I had piqued his interest.

"Fine," He mumbled after a quick minute of mulling it over. He kicked at the ground before turning around to head back into the building. A few moments later he returned with his jacket, as he stormed past me towards the pier.

My heart was racing and I wanted to warn him, but in order to do that I would have to ruin the surprise and it seemed like it'd be better if I just allowed him to figure it out on his own.

The walk back to the boat was easier than the sprint to the aquarium in the first place, but my heart was racing the entire time.

"We are going to be rich after this," I whispered, loud enough that Johnny could hear me.