thirteen

Liam let his anger get the best of him

Liam let his anger get the best of him. After seeing Nolan's face at the zoo, all he wanted to do was repay him for beating him up at school. Liam wanted to knock him out and let his blood drip all over his body. Liam wasn't a murderer, but he knew how to give revenge with just pain.

Theo had to intercept - much to Faye's dismay. She had too much faith in Liam. She believed he could control himself. She knew he may have ended up landing a fist or two on Nolan, but he would come out of it. But then, Theo knocked Liam out instead.

Faye wouldn't speak to Theo. He never listened to her. She wasn't trying to make him good. She was naturally good, so she tried to behave ethically and voice out her opinions.

Theo was driving the car. Liam was starting to wake up. He was in the backseat, while Faye had her seat reclined all the way back so that she was laying down. She had her hand wrapped around Liam's waist as she slowly healed him.

Liam groaned as he woke up. The first thing he noticed was the yellow glow from Faye. She was closing her eyes peacefully as her face was facing the roof of the car. Liam looked at Theo and glared at the back of his head.

Theo felt his glare and looked in the rearview mirror. "I had to knock you out," he said nonchalantly.

"Yeah? How many times?" Liam asked, sitting up on his elbows.

Theo smiled. "Five."

Liam sighed. "I almost killed him, didn't I?"

Theo shrugged. "Almost - but you broke your hands trying not to."

"I guess that's something."

"It is," Faye murmured, still keeping her eyes closed. "You tried really hard, Liam, and I'm proud of you for that. You deserve more credit for doing so."

"Thanks, Faye."

Theo rolled his eyes. "Don't encourage his behavior, Faye. Next time you come up with a plan like this, pick a place that doesn't trigger a murderous rage," he directed towards Liam.

Liam huffed. "I didn't know this was gonna happen."

"Whether you meant it or not, you picked the spot. You made the plan. You wanted me to help," Theo said.

"If I needed your help for anything, it'll be so I get angry enough to kill you myself," Liam retorted.

"You brought me here because the thing that came out of the Wild Hunt is affecting you, too. You need to figure this out before you completely lose it."

"The Anuk-ite causes fear. It doesn't cause anger," Liam said.

Theo looked at him in the rearview mirror once again. "People don't only feel one emotion at a time, Liam, which is why you get angry when you're afraid. That's why you almost tore Nolan's head off."

"If the Anuk-ite can do this to me, what do you think it's doing to everyone else?" Liam asked.

Faye opened her eyes. "It can do anything," she whispered. "It wants the world, and it can get it. It was banished to the Netherworlds long ago. I was created when it was banished, but I heard stories of the Anuk-ite. My people died trying to push it back. We succeeded, but with a price." Faye turned to look at Liam. "People will die, Liam, and we won't be able to save all of them."