Chapter I

Two weeks later

"I hate you." I groaned, reclining my head back on the passenger seat.

Alexis sighed, "You say that every time I drag you to a party."

"Then you should get the hint that I don't wanna be here." I remarked, obviously irritated.

Alexis turned down the music a little, "Without me you'd never leave that house. You're eighteen years old and graduated! You should be out partying up a storm with me - your best friend." She exclaimed, using small hand gestures and raising her voice up to a higher octave.

I crossed my arms over my chest, "I'd rather stay home and chill before I have to start this whole 'life after high school' scenario." I used air quotes.

Alexis pulled up to the all-too familiar lake, "Well tonight you're going to have fun at this bonfire and meet some guys."

I scrunched up my face, "Once again," I unbuckled my seat-belt and grasped the car handle, "I hate you." I opened the door and hopped out.

I pulled my black cardigan over my chest, crossing my arms in the process. I met Alexis by the front of car and grunted loudly as I saw the group of teenagers laughing, dancing and listening to music. Alexis grabbed my shoulders and turned me so I facing her, her eyes examining my outfit.

"You never were one to dress up." She laughed, tugging on my black cardigan.

I looked down at my outfit; black leggings, white v-neck with a leather pocket on the right breast, long black cardigan, black beanie with the words 'Bitch' on it and my white and black Doc Martens.

I shrugged at her comment, "I don't see anything wrong with my outfit."

"There's nothing wrong with it but it's not sexy," She whined, "show some cleavage! Show some leg, show at least some arm."

I raised my eyebrows and nodded, pulling up the sleeve to my cardigan up to my elbow, "There's some arm, sexy enough?" I sarcastically asked.

She rolled her eyes, "You're such an ass." She grabbed my wrist and started walking towards them.

"But you obviously love me because if you didn't you wouldn't drag me to converse with the human race." I stated

"Smart-ass"

"I am pretty smart, I mean I did graduate as valedictorian." I reminded her.

She laughed and shook her head, stopping once we got close enough to hear the conversations of the other teenagers, "Just have fun, Skylar. Please?" She begged.

I sighed heavily, looking around before meeting her eyes again, "No promises, but I'll try." I gave her a soft smile.

She nodded and returned the smile, "I'll take that." She squeezed my hand before walking off without me and greeting some of her other friends.

I crossed my arms over my chest tightly, slowly walking over towards the cooler to get something to drink. I crouched down once I reached it, opening it and seeing a few different types of different soda; Fanta, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Sprite and Coke; all laying or buried in a ton of ice chunks.

I reached down and grabbed a Mountain Dew, closing the lid and standing up straight. I opened my soda, took a sip and turned around, almost choking once I was met with the eyes of a random guy.

"Didn't mean to scare you." He laughed, patting my back.

"What do you want?" I growled once I regained my breath, shaking his hand off me.