Chapter 5

Zarcar and I have begun our battle over my fate while I simultaneously hear innocent screams from the city. It is distracting and I can't decide if I should focus on Zarcar or saving the priestesses.

In other words, I was doomed.

However, now the battle had begun and I could do nothing but react on first instincts. It didn't help that I was surrounded by thick misty fog. I'm glad my first spell was to ask for the moon to guide me through my steps, so at least I have a tiny advantage in the beginning. I feel the wind force me to jump to the right as one of the horse sized demon Dragons, reaches down to try and nick at the edge of my dress.

The moon guides me into jumping at the right time.

It has both Dragons snorting flame in anger.

I duck from the fire, turning to run as the wind forces me to choose that direction next. As I head for my pot plants, I hide behind them while muttering.

"Dazzle their eyes with moonlight," I hold my hand up, "...dazzle them blind!"

It is a special spell I had gained, by raising my hand into a beam of moonlight - a flash of light will confuse Zarcar and his beasts momentarily.

Brighter than lightning, the warrior I'm fighting and his beasts get bedazzled in a luminescent burst.

They would be sightless for at least 30 seconds.

I look up and see the clouds moving in, and I don't doubt Zarcar has done something to bring in the overcast sky to block my moonlight.

I use my brief last opportunity to run to the edge of the tower and look down at the building of pyres.

"Misfortune for the flames, please!" I cry out to the moon as the last beams disappear.

I usually didn't have to do this, but my blood was sacred for a reason.

It was powerful.

I raise my hand and bite a small patch of skin until it bleeds so I can gather a droplet of blood on my finger tip. I hold it outright and suck in a deep breath. I blow out as I pray to the moon.

If the wind can carry my blood to the pyres - my curse of misfortune will land and stop the burning; or at least hinder the success.

It's only when I manage to blow the droplet of blood, that I hear two guttural growls behind me... and notice two other pyres set up on other streets that I missed.

"No!" I cry out as I'm jerked back and I hear my dress tear and rip.

I fall on my butt as one of the Dragons pulls me backwards, while the other Dragon leans in and opens it mouth - as if to burst me with flames.

Instead, a hot air which mirages from it's mouth, leaves its form and hits me in the face.

As I breathe in, I feel my head spin. For a moment I feel like I'm about to pass out, but then I regain my balance and blink until I can see again.

I feel a distinct feeling, a deep throb in my chest, as my magic seems cut off.

Just as I'm comprehending that, I feel a sharp talon at my back, tickling my skin before slicing down through the back of my dress.

"What in the moon? Zarcar!" I yell out in distress as I try to lurch away but the second Dragon runs a second talon down the front of my dress - ripping and ruining the front as well.

Embers leak from the scales of the excited blood red Dragons, which drip down onto the dress and start to burn the ends of the silk.

"Stop!" I try to crawl back and step on the burning material, but it just burns my foot and I whimper.