Chapter 19

Percy's POV

"She what, Will? She what?" I ask, I can't have Annabeth dying on me. I couldn't live without her, I would never feel the same again. If Annabeth dies, I'm going to too, it's like Tartarus, I will never leave her.

"She's in a coma, but it's not looking great. We won't be able to tell when she's going to wake up."

"So she's alive?"

"Yes, but--"

"Nope, don't finish that sentence. She's alive and that's all that matters to me. Do you mind of I see her?"

Will nods and leads me to a separate room in the infirmary where Annabeth lays, looking still and lifeless. She doesn't look to be alive, but I know she is. She's alive, but just sleeping.

"She'll survive this." I repeat to myself, trying to make myself believe it, "She's the strongest person you know, she can make it through this. If she can survive hell, she can survive a coma." A single tear runs down my face. Then a few more come. Then some more.

"Perce? Are you doing alright?" Grover appears in the doorway and comes down to sit next to me. I don't answer. "Percy, talk to me, I know this is hard for you to see, but she's going to make it. You made it through Tartarus, she can make it through a coma.

"We were together in Tartarus. And if she doesn't make this, then we'll be apart from each other for a long time. I can't make it without her. I know she's strong, but there's still a chance she'll never wake up."

We sit silently for a while, until I ask, "Why were you guys the only people who came to help? Why didn't anybody else help her? You could see she needed help!"

"I don't know, a lot of people couldn't see the fight-"

"Yes, but fights cause a lot of noise, especially when the monsters are winning!" I say, starting to get angry. "Why didn't you help until later? A huge amount of monsters and one person is bound to fail! You could have stopped this!"

"Percy, calm dow-"

"I'm not going to calm down! Anyone could have gone to help Annabeth and stopped this from happening! Anyone! But no, she's in a coma and might not wake up! I have to leave now, I'll see you around Grover." I say and vapour travel out of the infirmary to somewhere I fell safe. I didn't think of a certain place, so I could end up anywhere, but at least I'll be away from everyone.

I look around after my vapour travel and find myself in the moon pool on Mako. That makes sense, I should feel safe here since I'm a merman now. The water relaxes me, and I lay against the edge of the pool for a while. I shed a few tears and just hope that Annabeth's going to be alright. I pray to the Gods, mainly to Athena and Apollo, for Annabeth's safety, I also prey to Morpheus to see if he can prevent nightmares while she's in the coma. 

"How's my favourite cousin doing?" Apollo appears in front of me. He seems to be less, well, Apollo than usual.

"I thought you were my favourite cousin, I'm flattered." I say, making jokes and masking my sadness. 

"Percy, you can be honest. This is a sad day for all of us on Olympus too. How are you doing with all this? I heard the prayer you sent, and I'll do my best to keep her alive. All of my children will too." 

"Thanks, you're one of my favourite cousins, by the way. I'm doing fine, thanks for asking."

"Percy, I know you're not fine."

"What do you want me to say then? Everyone knows I'm not fine, but they don't care to ask anymore! They just leave it at fine! And I don't mind that, I just want to talk to Annabeth again, I want to be with her, I want to spend time with her, but I can't. I was in the middle of planning a weekend away for us together, just the two of us. It was supposed to be incredible! But I can't, because she's in a coma, and she won't be waking up for a long time, maybe not at all! So there, I'm not fine Apollo."