Chapter Nineteen

<> <> Sparrow <> <>

"I promise." The words tumbled out of her mouth without thought. Jayson did things to her that no one else could ever do. Jayson's embrace tightened.

"I... I love you Sparrow..." I froze solid at these words.

No one will ever love you. No one will ever truly love you. If they say they do they are faking it. They want something from you.

Brian's words flew through my head, and with them my brain created excuses, reasons why he couldn't love me. Why no one could love me.

I was so lost in thought I didn't hear Jayson. "Sparrow? Are you alright?" When I looked in his beautiful, perfect blue eyes, however, all of it faded away. I sniffled, then smiled and said, "I love you too Jayson..." A knock sounded. I turned my head in just enough time to see Dr. Winters walk in.

"Sparrow! What are you doing up?" She only looked once at my tear-stained face for the answer. Her voice softened. "Sparrow, you'll be released tonight. Jayson, however, will need a few more days. Speaking of which, I need to check and redress your wounds." She said this last part to Jayson, who nodded.

I watched as the hospital shirt was taken off of him. A large, deep red gash ran along his chest. I covered my mouth with my hands. What happened...? Dr. Winters was checking the gash and the bandages carefully.

"Right... you're healing well, no infection and not much inflammation. Now... Sparrow please look away." I looked curiously at her, but she only raised her eyebrows at me, emphasizing what she said. I turned around and heard movement, but I couldn't tell what was happening. Finally, Dr. Winters sighed and said, "This one's healing well too, but you won't be able to walk for at least a week without running the risk of opening it up again."

A cut on his leg... Dr. Winters left and told me I was okay to look now, but I was afraid of what I might see. I slowly turned, but he had his shirt on and he was looking very Jayson.

"So..." he trailed off awkwardly.

"So..." I repeated, swinging a leg under me and putting my hands together behind my back. We looked at each other and smiled.

"Hey, Sparrow... why don't you see if Eveline can get your tablet." I perked up, hurrying out of the room. Eveline and everyone else was there waiting. They were all surprised when I hurried out of the room. I was a little embarrassed since I was in hospital clothing, but it didn't stop me.

I went up to Eveline and whispered in her ear, "could you go get my..." she smiled and held out my tablet. She always knows what I want.

I took it and hurried back into Jayson's room. When he saw me with my tablet he smiled widely. "Have you drawn anything on it yet?" I shook my head, thinking. Then, it clicked into my mind. I started making great strokes on the screen, beautiful curves and lines connecting to form the art piece.

It took me a full three hours to finish it, and I felt Jayson's eyes on me the entire time. When I had finished it, however, I showed it to Jayson. He gasped. "It's beautiful..." he took it, a sad smile on his face. It was a beautiful rose, traced in gold and glowing bright blue, just like his eyes.

<> <> Jayson <> <>

Five weeks after getting out of the hospital...

I noticed Sparrow a lot happier the following weeks. Every once in a while, there were days I had to stay home with her to make sure she wouldn't break her promise to me, but together we made it through. Eveline, Sparrow and I worked hard to show everyone that not everything was as it seemed, and by now almost everyone believed us. Today also happened to be a special day for me and Sparrow, however she didn't know it yet...