I knew who it belonged to.

I'd tasted it multiple times, had smelled it multiple times, but my heart was in my throat and I couldn't, wouldn't, let myself think because there was just no way---

I screeched to a halt in front of a room with the door busted in, the source of the smell. I heard thudding footsteps behind me as Woody caught up, but I didn't look at him, all I did was squint at the darkness beyond the threshold, trying to see into the black.

It was too dark even for my eyes to pick it out.

The smell was so strong, saturating the air, the floor, so powerful that I could almost taste it with every breath. A shiver ran down my spine, and dread coursed through me, dread about what was in that room, what I would find if I entered, and I didn't want to know.

I didn't want to, but I had to.

Taking a breath, I stepped inside, one foot after the other, and patted the wall, searching for a light switch, and sure enough, I found one. The room was suffused with a brilliant yellow glow, and the air rushed out of my lungs. There was damage literally everywhere.

The dresser in Sebastian's room had been ripped apart, the bed was in tatters, shredded as if tossed into a giant blender, the television was lying flat on the ground, and the love seat that had previously been beneath it was lying on its side with the cushions strewn about.

The curtain had been dragged off the window.

More than that, though, there was blood literally everywhere. I looked at the splatters and stains covering the walls around the room, then at the clothes strewn about on the floor in odd positions and swallowed hard since I could guess what must have happened.

"There really was an attack," I said, feeling numb and gummy. "I smell Sebastian's blood, but it's faint... it's mixed with a whole bunch of other types."

Claw marks had been gouged into the wood of the bathroom door, which was busted in half.

A sudden sense of foreboding came across me and I shook my head.

"We should leave," I said, looking at Woody over my shoulder. "I don't know what the hell happened here, but I do know it isn't safe for us to stay. I'll leave my things behind until they get back... I'll leave a note for Sebastian explaining that I survived whatever this was and tell him where to look for me once everything is fine. Is that fair? Because I really want to go, like, now."

Woody didn't look away from the blood coating the walls when he slowly, hesitantly nodded.

Not that I blamed him. The room looked like something right out of a horror movie.

No... its worse than a horror movie, I corrected myself. That's real blood, from real people... or, vampires -- whatever the fuck they were. Either way, this is a murder scene, and I don't want to be anywhere near here.

I turned around, but I must have done it too quickly since my eyes sparked and I almost fell over. I would have hit the ground face-first if Woody hadn't caught my arm and held me steady. I leaned against his side, breathing through my nose to quell my nausea.

"Sorry," I mumbled, putting a hand to my aching skull. "I'm still not completely better yet."

He nodded in understanding and helped me walk down the hall towards the stairs.