Chapter 5《The base》

>>>>>>>>>>>▪○□●□○▪<<<<<<<<<

Julie's POV

"I can't wait to get there," I smiled, looking at my mom.

"I'm still having second thoughts," she muttered, looking straight ahead. Her lips were in a slight frown as she stared at the moving road.

"I've told you, Mom, I'm gonna be okay," I smiled nimbly, placing my hands on her lap.

"I know honey, I'm just..." She trailed off. She looked at me and gave me a weak smile.

I mirrored her expression and squeezed her thighs a little, "Don't overthink it. I will be fine. No, we will be fine."

"Yeah," she nodded and turned back to the road.

Saturday came by slow. Although it was just yesterday that the truth was revealed, it felt like it was days. Let's just say sleep didn't visit me last night. I was up all night trying to process everything. I can't believe spies are real--it's surreal. What makes my heartache, is the reality; my dad was killed for this country and no one knows that.

Stella called sounding so nervous, she was hyperventilating, her loud and un-synchronized breath heard as she uttered every single word of distress. I was able to calm her down; told her everything a girl going on a date would want to hear and luckily, it worked.

We continued the drive smoothly and quietly, but the silence was interrupted a few times when I informed her of some things going on with me and most of them made her smile. I was glad I could do that for her, even through this roller coaster.

My mom and I have always been close, we were like best friends. People say being friends with your parents is lame, but that's not true. It's cool, especially when your parents are as awesome as my mom.

"We're here," my mom said, opening the door and stepping out.

I followed her movements and closed the door.

Amazed by the sight, I was walking around, my eyes turning to every direction in admiration of what seemed to be a parking lot.

Although it was just a parking lot, it was designed beautifully: it had shining white light at every corner and plane, the floors glittery with the coal tar used, and yellow lines painted on the floors to demarcate each parking space. The cars that occupied a few of the spaces were mostly black and extremely flashy; they looked like they were waxed a thousand times because not even a speck of dirt could be detected on it. The beautiful, cream oil painted walls reflected the lights, making the imprinted designs on them being prominent.

The truth was, I didn't even know how we got here. One minute we were on the road, turning into an alley. The next minute, we were in a beautifully designed parking lot, that had no sunlight peering into it at all.

"Julie, let's go," my mom said, drawing me from my thoughts; walking into an ark that led to a corridor that had illuminating golden bulbs, making the walls like that of the parking lot.

"Mom," I said, meaning to seek answers for my many unanswered questions.

"Yeah?" She said, urging me to go on.

"How did we get here? Because the last thing I remember, we were going through an alley and now we're here," I said, motioning to the whole surrounding.

"It's a very modernized technology that people don't even know exists. The alley leads to the parking lot of this place, but it is not seen outside, to the outside world it's just a dead end. We had to go through the wall of the alley to get here," she explained. At that moment she explained everything and all doubts seemed to have washed away instantly.