Getting By

Getting By

My hands never have moved so fast like they did as I unlocked the Motel door. Seth and I quickly rushed through it, closing the door behind me. I lock the door just for extra measure as Seth takes off his hockey mask, glancing out the window.

"Get down," He motions towards me with the gun. He lightly grabs my arm, pulling me under the window as he does the same.

The bag of money sits at our feet while Seth keeps my body down. Police are talking outside, some of the words unrecognizable. I hold my breath, hoping for them to knock and then pass by.

Sure enough, the door is knocked on a couple of times. They shine a light in, causing Seth to duck down again. When the light and talking pass on to a different room, I know they've moved on.

"Are they gone?" I whisper, causing Seth to hold up a finger and glance out the window again.

I wait and listen, hearing them knock on the door next to us. When nothing happens, they move on, heading to their cars and driving away. Both Seth and I let out a sigh of relief.

Seth puts the safety on his gun as him and I stand up, throwing the bag of money on the table. I turn the light on, only lighting the room enough for you to see everything.

"What happened?" I asked when Seth moves over to the table.

"Nothing. Things got a little dicey, that's all," Seth says with a shrug.

My eyes raise and I can't help but cross my arms, "A little dicey?" I scuff, "Thought you said everything was going to be lean and mean." I take out my gun that was tucked away in my back pocket and set it on the table as Seth does the same with his.

"I don't know that I used those exact words," Seth says, not meeting my eyes.

Using my finger to point at him, I say, "Stroll, that was the word you used. You said, "I'm going to stroll out of there like Paul Newman, you'll be waiting in the car and we'll drive away like we got a free toaster. Don't worry so much Kitty Kat." I know that because you used that damn nickname again."

Seth smiles as he takes off his jacket and white button up top, leaving him in a white tank-top. "I like the nickname."

"That's not the point, Seth," I said, laying my hands on the table as I look at him.

Stretching his arms out to the side and trying not to laugh, Seth says, "So, I owe you a toaster."

Lightly hitting his arm, I say, "Not funny."

Seeing as he won't be getting anything past me, he sighs and starts talking. "The manager tried to be a hero, I had to rough him up a bit. Then some knucklehead called his cousin, who happens to be a cop."

"How was he able to do that? Weren't you keeping an eye on him?"

Falling into my trap, Seth said, "Katherine, I only have two eyes."

"Exactly. Which is why you need me with you. Come on, Seth. I know how to use a gun. I can talk all high and mighty."

His next words come out as a mumble, but I still catch them, "Yeah, tell me about it." I glare at him, making him sigh and move over towards the bed with the bag of money. "Listen, we won, okay."

Seth empties the bag on the bed, revealing cash and a whole bunch of rolled up checks. I move around the small table, over to the bed, before grabbing one of the rolled up checks. A harsh sigh leaves my lips as I show Seth one of the rolled up checks, "These are canceled checks."