The Labyrinth

The Labyrinth

Kate, Aiden, Jacob, Seth, and I raced down the tunnel, only to each the end of it.

"It's another dead end!" Kate yelled.

Seth, in disbelief, said, "What?" looking at the wall as if he stared at it long enough a door would pop open. This was our third dead end, making these tunnel really feel like a maze.

"Or, the beginning," Aiden said, looking at some inscriptions on the wall.

"We went in a big circle?" Seth asked Aiden, worried that we'd never get out of here.

Aiden shook his head, pointing to two broken pieces of stone that are in the wall. "No, no, no, no, no. The inscription, it's the beginning of the ancient words. It's a reference to the creation myth in the Popol Vuh. Rebirth. Renewal. Rebirth. Renewal."

Putting his hands on the stones, Aiden manages to push the two stones together, despite Seth's words on not to touch it. Sure enough, as the stones lock into each other like a puzzle, the place begins to shake.

Kate lets out a scream while I hang onto the wall. I would not enjoy dying down here before we even found a way out.

"What did you do?" I yelled over the rumble of the tunnels. I'm prepared for this to be it when the rumbling suddenly stops. A part of the wall slides open, revealing a secret door. Seth pushes the door open, looking inside.

"There's stairs. They go up," He said, looking over at the group. "Up is good, right?"

"Better than down," I shrug, making Seth sigh and look back at the steps.

"Yeah, fucking "A"" Seth comments before climbing the stairs. I'm quick to follow, curious to know what we'll find this time around. More tunnels probable. Maybe a lar filled with Culebras.

Another tunnel is found, only this time the end seen right away. The good part? A wooden door sits at it, hopefully having a way out. Seth looks back at me then at the group that follows. All of us have our weapons raised, unsure of what we might walk into.

Seth grabs the handle of the door, opening it to reveal the front of the Titty Twister. The RV is parked out front while everything else is bare to the world.

"Oh, finally," Seth looks at the ground with a sigh of relief.

My eyes pick up on the back of Richie, making me quickly hit Seth's arm, nodding for him to look ahead. His eyes do as gestured and open wider with shock, "Richie? He's still alive."

"He looks pretty good for a guy that just got shot," Jacob comments, glancing at Seth.

Santanico joins him, both of them walking into the RV before closing it behind them.

Seth's tension comes from his anger as he swears, "Oh, son of a bitch." He turns to all of us, shaking his head, "What are you waiting for, huh? We're free. Let's get out of here."

Kate speaks innocently, reminding me of how fragile she really is, "We can't leave without Scott."

"I can stay back. I'll help out," Aiden said, nodding to Seth.

A sigh leaves Seth's mouth as he glances at me before turning to walk away. Jacob reaches past me, stopping Seth who doesn't respond happily, "Get your hands off me, Padre. I'm going to get my brother."

"You sure he's still your brother?" he asks, handing over a stake. Seth looks at it for a second before taking it, walking away and towards the RV.

My insides feel like their being torn. Half staying put while the other half goes with Seth. I have this feeling in my gut that staying here will only do more damage than goo. But going with Seth? It feels... right.