Pilot

Pilot

My fingers tapped anxiously on the steering wheel as I looked at an old Motel, it's paint chipping off the sides.

This place had bad written all over it.

I still don't know why I'm here. Oh, yeah, my sister called me in a panic, telling me that dad was drunk and that he was taking them to Mexico. Why? I have no clue, but my family needs me. Even if they don't want me.

Before I could talk myself out of it, I grabbed the backpack I had filled with clothes and bathroom supplies off the passenger seat and stepped out of my car. The warm breeze crushed my bare legs and arms, pushing my hair out of my face.

Quickly pulling out my phone, I double checked Kate's texted which held the address and room number. Sadly, this was the place.

Boy, was dad going to get a wake-up call when he see's me.

Let me touch up on my background with my family. I was all for the "church every Sunday" and "saying a prayer before bed". But what I didn't like was the fact that every time I had a problem, all I was told was to pray about it. I wanted answers, real answers, not just "pray about it and God with answer" crap.

So, after 20 years of it, I finally left. It was this big blow up fight between my dad and me, after my mom's funeral. With just a bag backed, I walked out of my family's life and into another filled with things that I wanted to do.

I've talked to Kate and our adopted brother Scott on the phone every now and then, but dad? He doesn't want to talk.

A sigh left my lips before I kicked my feet into gear, my heart racing with every step. I followed the steps up to the second floor, making my way down the open hallway until I saw the number 206.

My eyes closed as I sucked in a breath, my knuckles knocking on the door so lightly that I wondered if anyone would even hear me. Sure enough, the door opened, revealing my dad.

His hair was gray, longer than before. His eyes were half bloodshot and he looked like he had just gotten over a hangover.

I knew that my dad was a heavy drinker, because I've suffered from it. But, for the benefit of the family, I said nothing.

"Hello, dad," I said, giving him a fake smile that was clear as day. I nodded to the doorway, "Aren't you going to let me in?"

"Katherine," my name slipped off his tongue in disbelief. "What are you doing here?"

Kate's voice pipped in behind her father's, causing me to get a good look at the room and Scott who was standing up from the bed with a dropped mouth. "I called her, asked her to come so she could take us back."

My dad's head turned to Kate in shock before turning back to me. He took a step to the side, letting me walk in. Scott hadn't changed much while Kate's hair had grown and she looked to be tired of our dad's crap.

Been there, done that.

The room, like the motel, was a piece of crap with one bed and a bathroom. Even the TV looked like it was missing some buttons and probable wouldn't even turn on.

"I'm sorry that Kate made you drive all this way out here, but we're doing fine," My dad said while rubbing the back of his neck and closing the door.

I scuffed, letting my bag fall to the ground by my feet, "Yeah. I've heard that before."

Kate rolled her eyes, grabbing a towel which revealed that she was wearing a swimsuit. "I'm going to go swimming," She said, starting to head towards the door.