No Way Out

Ryde

I watched in frozen anticipation as Trace's expression changed from sympathy to anger when Val whispered something to her. She clenched her jaw and dread crawled up from my stomach all the way to my throat.

Val had made this look too easy. Something wasn't right. He was fucking around with us. I wanted to fucking shout to Trace to stop but my throat had tightened in nervous excitement. I watched her lower the gun and then she suddenly pulled the trigger.

My eyes widened as I expected to hear the gunshot but all that I heard was an empty click and then a small flag popped out of the gun's muzzle. No sound. No blood. Nothing. The words 'Gotcha' were painted across the fabric of the flag in dull red.

My throat dried as I saw a merciless smile break out across Val's lips. Trace stared down at the gun that started shaking in her hands. Val began laughing. His laughter chilled me down to my spine. He'd fucking planned this out from the start. He'd done it to test Trace's loyalty. Now we were fucked. Now we were seriously fucked.

Everyone had started slowly backing away. Cason and Juniper were the only ones that stood beside me. Val was still laughing while holding his stomach and his laughter grew louder and louder. The only thing that resonated through the still air was his psychotic laughter. The gun slipped out from Trace's grasp and clattered to the ground. The noise made Val stop and he looked down at her with a devilish expression.

"What's wrong, cupcake?" He mocked a sad expression as he took a step closer to her. "Looks like your gun didn't go off. That's tragic. How will you get rid of me now?"

Trace was trembling as he took another step towards her, there was this crazy light in his eyes the kind that showed that he was anything but human. This fucker was nuts. He took another step towards Trace who was just staring at him, her eyes locked on his in a trance-like fear. He was going to fucking hurt her.

I had to stop him. I had to look out for the people here because I had already done a lot of fucking damage. I owed it to Parker. I owed it to Kat. I fucking owed it to all of them. I watched as he tilted his head sideways and smiled down at her and then he extended a hand towards her throat.

"You proved to be just like all the rest," He said in a low, crazed voice. "I thought you were different. I thought you were like me. I thought you understood me. The only thing that never worked in my favor was you. That'll have to change though. I'll show you everything I'm capable of."

Val was just about to grab her throat when I stepped forward.

"I've listened to enough of your bullshit," I said, keeping my voice firm and calm but deep down I knew I was fucking things up. "Now its time you hear a little of mine, bastard. Get away from her and I don't care if you throw a fucking tantrum about it. Just get the fuck away from her."

Val stopped midway and slowly turned towards me. I felt Juniper digging her fingernails into my back, telling me to stop. It was too fucking late now. Val looked me over and a chill descended down my spine. His eyes were vacant and haunting. The room was devoured by a deadly silence the kind where you could only hear your fucking heart drumming against your chest.

Val suddenly cracked a grin while leaving Trace's side and slowly sauntered towards me. Juniper clutched tightly onto my back and I could feel Cason trembling by my side. I was going to fucking die but at this point, I hardly fucking cared. Even if I didn't die now I was going to die later anyway.

"Woah," Val's eyes grew wide in mocked surprise as he drew closer while slipping his hands into his pockets. He began circling me slowly. "Ryde, isn't it? I have to remember your name so it goes down in the list of all the people I've killed. It'll be a nice memory."