⚫The First⚫

“She's alone, ” Jimin said as he watched his friend, Jungkook, stare at you sitting alone in a roundtable of five, your eyes on the dance floor where bodies of people danced along to the slow romantic music playing in the speakers. “This is your chance.”

Without a word, Jungkook stood up from his seat and walked towards you that he had been staring for quite a while. Looking over his shoulder to send a tight smile at Jimin who, obviously, didn't expect him to actually go and make his move.

You let a sigh escape your lips, a part of you regretting ever showing up in your seniors' ball. You knew you weren't pretty but never thought anyone would ever actually want to dance with you. But it didn't really surprise you. You pretty much spent your four years in high school keeping a low profile, just what your parents wanted you to.

A fake cough broke you out of your train of thoughts, whatever was in it. You looked up to see a fairly familiar face, brows furrowed as you were confused why he suddenly came up to you.

A part of you thinking he might've wanted to dance with you, dismissing it as a stupid thought afterward.

  “What is it?” That came out impolite and you were aware, silently cursing at yourself for being mentally absent in your Oral Communication subject or just not knowing what to say after missing a liter of oxygen upon seeing his intimidating features.

Jungkook's brows were furrowed and a frown tugged his lips downward. He looked upset and mad as if someone had stepped on his pet turtle.

  “May I have this dance?” And that came out forced, both of you shocked but with different reasons. His fingers fidgeted, playing on the hem of his nicely tailored suit, before lifting it up and gesturing for your hand, “Lee Y/N?”

You hear your name fall from his lips and your eyes widen even more. But nonetheless, place your hand on his, standing up only to realize how tall the man in front of you actually is.

He leads you to the dance floor, his eyes focused only on you. You were beautiful, that was a thought he recognized. Dazzling is something he knew you'd slay.

Jungkook lifts your hand to place it on his chest and the other around his waist and you were so flustered, you almost forgot how to function like a normal person- or around him.

You started to dance then, swaying your hips from side to side as he was looking deep in your eyes. You took a quick glance at your perfectly fit hands before looking back at his hypnotizing ones. His eyes were like two black holes you could be forever lost in.

  “I didn't catch your name?” You asked, breaking the ice that could've melted anyway under his strong yet soft gaze. But that was a lie and all your friends could testify.

  “Jungkook, ” he simply says. You couldn't dismiss the tension between the two of you and thought that maybe you just didn't notice it before, but his voice was actually sweeter than you imagined.

You nodded your head, “Jungkook, ” repeating his name with your own painted lips. “You look like someone I wouldn't forget, are you not from here?”

Regret washed you upon realizing what you had just said. Jungkook looked surprised himself. So much for pretending you don't know him, now look where it's gotten you.

  “That wasn't supposed to sound that way.” You were known for justifying almost all your actions, something he always found cute.

Even though it was only for a mere second, you couldn't seem to take the image of Jungkook with a smirk on his face off of your mind.

  “Don't worry about it, ” Jungkook says and sighs. “Honestly, I can barely hear you at the sound of cliché love songs.”

Without saying another word, he stops from dancing and pulls you with him to the hallway where the music he referred to as cliché love songs sounded muffled. “I apologize; I just wanted to talk to you.”

  “Fine with me, I'm not really fond of dancing anyway.” You shrugged before propping yourself and sitting on the marble floor.

  “I'm supposed to talk to you about something, ” Jungkook says, sitting beside you. He chewed on his left cheek as he thought about it for a while. “It's very important to me.”

“Go on?” You already figured it out. This part could no longer be considered a romantic date, not that it was in the first place.

Jungkook's father is an employee in your parents' company and you heard your father was planning to fire at least fifty underperforming employees in their company.

  “My father works for your parents, ” Jungkook began. “It's not that I'm underestimating my father's abilities but I have noticed him so down lately and I can't help but think it must be this.”

It was true his father isn't someone you should look down on, he was the complete package. You didn't understand why he would think your father would fire his.

  “You know, I was planning to confess my feelings for you tonight. But I wanted my father to keep his job.” The shock was evident in your facial features. Sure, you were hoping to have a romantic night (with him), but you didn't expect him to actually have feelings for you. “I wanted to ask a favor.”

  “Yeah?” It wasn't what caught your attention but you tried to focus on the main subject here.

  “If, by any chance, you see his name on the list of people that your parents might fire, ” he paused for a while, trying to find the right words. “Will you please try and change their minds for me? I just can't stand seeing my father unhappy. He loves this job.”

  “I can try, ” you admit.

Silence enveloped the both of you after that little exchange. You sat there, cold and awkward. Both thinking of anything that could lighten up the mood, but neither too courageous to actually speak up first.

  “You said you have feelings for me?” You asked, instantly regretting you ever brought that up. “Nevermind. Forget I asked.”

  “You're not actually my type, ” he says and you bit your tongue as a punishment for you. “Jieun is the kind of girl I'd go out with, to be completely honest.”

Lee Jieun. A college student in your university whom everyone likes. You agreed with him, Who wouldn't like Jieun?

You stayed silent, too embarrassed to say anything. Why did you have to bring that up?

  “When I saw you in eighth grade, I thought you looked familiar. I realized you were actually that girl I see in my father's boss' office, reading books or writing on a notepad.” You nodded, listening intently at him. “I see you every time my father brings me with him to the company or whenever I go to the library.”

  “I don't know, I just couldn't take my eyes off of you anymore, ” Jungkook says, his voice lowering at every word. “And I couldn't stop it when my heart beat so crazy whenever I was near or around you.”

  “I couldn't exactly say I like you, ” he admits. “I just have these feelings for you I can't understand. Dancing with you on the dance floor seemed so dangerous for me that I had to pull you out here. But now I'm even more nervous.”

  “You're nervous?” You didn't believe it. He looked calm, composed, collected- totally not the definition of nervous that you knew.

Jungkook looked you in the eyes, his gaze was more intense than back at the dance floor that you wondered how you still haven't melted.

You thought it might be because of the dimly lit hallway that his eyes got darker by the second, but you didn't understand how you suddenly felt hot when it was so cold a few minutes ago.

  “I am nervous. I'm anxious.” Jungkook tells you. You look even more beautiful tonight and it's killing me how I can't kiss you.

—————

special thanks to vLizzx for the book cover ❤