Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

I need to know. I clear my throat awkwardly as I turn at the wrong moment and get an eyeful of her ass cheeks. At least it wasn't her twat. "Anna. Who, um, handled my bleeding during that time?" I wish I could melt into the floor and not feel this level of embarrassment.

"I did," she chirped and hoisted her barely there bottoms on. Christ, her bikini really shows practically everything. I honestly don't know why she bothered even putting one on. Skinny dipping would probably be more fitting at this point.

My smile is strained as I tell her, "Thank you. I'm glad it was you and I'm sorry you had to do that."

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure if I was in your place, you would've helped me out, being a nurse and all anyway," she shoots me a smile and chucks my chin. I suppose she's right.

But I wouldn't be so chipper about it.

A loud knock pulled her away and I close the door behind her. I made quick work in shedding my leggings and panties and slid the white little disaster up my legs.

Has Anna worn this before?

Never mind, I don't want to know. It's clean and that's about all I can ask for at this point.

I grab a towel from the cabinet and wrap it around my body then press my ear up to the door to listen in on whatever is being said.

I want to gag when I hear Felix's voice, but I have no idea what he's saying.

Why didn't they offer Russian as a foreign language option in high school?

I still wouldn't have taken it though.

An excited squeal later, the bedroom door is shutting and the bathroom one is swinging open. I just barely managed to slip back far enough to make it look like I was just standing there adjusting the towel.

Phew!

"Good news, Amaris! Vlad said we can swim as long as we don't..." she then air quotes, "his words, not mine, 'act like drunken whores or try to start some shit', so we have to be good little prisoners." She throws her head back and laughs.

Narrowing my eyes, I pin her with a look. "Why would he think we would act like drunken whores? Sure, I get the starting shit part, but drunken whores?" I make a pshh noise and follow her back out to her room, my steps faltering when I see the skin on her back.

I didn't notice it a moment ago, but there's no missing the multitude of scars lining her back. She must have been whipped hundreds-no thousands- of times.

Who the fuck did this to her?

I cover my mouth with my hand to avoid gasping out loud. I don't want to draw attention to it. I'm sure it's a touchy subject and she's looking forward to tonight. I don't want to sour the mood.

Anna sits on her bed and starts pulling her hair up into a high ponytail. I admire her for a moment. She really is beautiful. She looks so much like Felix that I want to be disgusted looking at her too, but she's a doll. And even if I hate admitting it, Felix is a handsome dude.

He's just a pervert and an asshole.

"Sometimes I hit the hard liquor too much and act like a shlyukha."

Arching a brow, I wave at her to elaborate. She knows I don't speak Russian. I fight rolling my eyes.

Anna giggles softly and stands, grabbing my hand and leads me to the door.

She leans up close, her lips touching my ear as she whispers, "A slut."

Oh, okay then. Whatever or whoever she wants to do is her business.

Shrugging nonchalantly, I smile and let her lead me to my doom.

With my free hand holding on tightly to my towel, I listen to our bare feet slap the marble flooring as we make our way through halls and corridors.

Anna fills the silence with idle chatter but my eyes stay glued to her exposed back and the canvas of scars it is.

With how freely she walks around in little to nothing, I guarantee her brother has seen these scars. If he hasn't killed whoever put them there, then I am willing to bet it's for a reason.

He can't.