Chapter Thirty One

Amaris

The next few days both drag on and fly by. Each morning Felix fetches me and glares as I walk next to him with my chin up. I would love to have another chance to kick his ass, but he obeys Vlad like a good little sheep and doesn't touch me.

Pity. What joy that'd bring to my miserable life.

As I'm sweeping the big dining room, I overhear some guards and Malik talking. Surprisingly enough, they are speaking English.

"Yeah Vlad has Anna locked in her room until further notice. I'm forbidden to go near her right now," Malik says. I keep leaning closer to them, hoping to hear more of their conversation, but a throat clearing causes my head to snap up toward the noise.

Malik is grinning at me. "You like eavesdropping do you?" My cheeks heat up and I nod my head. No sense lying when I've already been caught.

He laughs heartily. "Good. I hope you enjoy that little hint I gave you." He gets up and heads out of the room with the guards in tow.

Huh. He purposely spoke in English for my benefit. But my paranoid mind immediately wonders if it's some setup. I used to not be this way. I miss old me. Care free and full of like me. Between my family getting tied up with the mafia and me basically becoming the collateral, I'm finding it hard to recognize myself.

I'm so angry all the time. Granted, I was angry for a while after my family all but abandoned me, but I accepted it easier and moved on with my life. Here- I have no life. All I have is misery and the hope for survival.

After I mop and put the cleaning supplies up, I decide to sneak off for a short time. Everyone is always busy and doing shit, so maybe nobody will notice if I'm gone for ten minutes...

As soon as I clear the turn around the final hallway, I half jog toward my room, but stop in front of Anna's door. I know I'm not supposed to know she's in there but I need to talk to her. I grab the handle and want to slap myself for even thinking it would open from the outside without a key.

Glancing both ways quickly, I rap my knuckles against her door gently.

No response. No noise even.

I fidget on my feet and take another look down either side of the hall before pounding on her door. A few expletives slip out as I hunch and listen to the sound reverberate through the hallway.

Way to go Amaris, you dumbass.

After chiding myself for another moment, I pound my fist on her door again, but softer.

Still no response. Perhaps Malik was lying and trying to see how quickly I'd disobey.

A soft curse comes from her room. I place my ear against it and listen as best as I can.

"Nobody ever lets me sleep in. Even after I nearly danced with death." Her soft grumbles sound like they are moving toward the door so I back up.

"You have to unlock it, remember?" Anna hollers from the other side. I missed her voice so much these last few days. I didn't realize I missed her as much as I do, but a sudden wave of emotion nearly chokes me.

"Anna. I don't have a key. Malik told me you were here. Please can we-"

Something bangs against the door and I jump back. Shit. "Go away, suka!" Her voice all but drips anger and hostility.

"Anna please, I just want to talk to you! Please!" I plead with her. I need to talk to her. Wait. Did she call me a bitch?

I'm about to kick the door when a horrible cramp riddles my lower belly. I give the door one last look at turn away, heading into my own room to get to the bathroom.