Chapter Eleven

Amaris

Oh shiiitttt....

I halt abruptly as soon as my feet clear the threshold of my designated room. I cannot believe there isn't a soul in sight. "This is it!" I think to myself. Quickly, yet quietly, I begin heading back down the hallway in the same direction Felix had brought me from.

My tennis shoes threaten to give me away with the occasional slap they make as my feet quickly connect to the smooth, marble floor. If I wasn't in such a hurry to leave this place, I might take a moment to admire the unmistakable beauty of it. The tall ceilings have beautifully decorated walls reaching them, with diamond chandeliers hanging every so often.  I'd bet my left kidney that those diamonds are real. It truly is a site to behold. 

After several minutes of blindly trailing down the long corridors, the sound of a gunshot and scream stop me suddenly. I smash myself up against the wall and duck down. Where did it come from?  I know it came from within this castle like home, but where exactly? And who? The scream was definitely a woman, but who shot the gun?  Afraid to stay out in the open as I am, I quickly continue on my route.

Once I finally reach the top of the grand stairs that will lead me out of the front door, I stop. This is strangely easy.... too easy. I can't just waltz right out those doors; there is security waiting outside of them!  I groan inwardly for not thinking of this before I came all this way.

The cacophony of several pairs of feet heading towards me from the corridor opposite of me, has panic surging.  I hear Felix speaking Russian.

Shit!

The voice that speaks next causes a sudden cold rush to wash over me.

He's heading my way with Vlad!

Double shit!

Too frightened to think clearly, I back up several paces and open the first window I see. The opening is big enough for my body to fit and I don't hesitate to hoist myself out through the window, nearly screaming when I barely have a ledge to stand on. My feet keep sliding and I chance a look down, realizing I'm a story up from the ground. Oh my God. What a stupid mistake. I can't help but look down again and then once more, trying to convince myself that I didn't just do this. Another looksy down, yep, I'm really a story up.

"Okay Amaris, you dumbass, stop looking down!" I mumble, scolding myself for my own stupidity.

Slowly I maneuver my feet along the tiny amount of ledge present.  After slipping a few times and nearly falling to my gory death, I finally make it to another window that has a bigger ledge in front of it, allowing for more room to perch on. 

I slowly and carefully lower myself down to sit on the ledge and peer inside the window. The room is dark but appears to be empty.  I scan my surroundings to see if there's anything that will aid in my escape. 

Nada.

Zilch.

Swallowing back my fear, I look down again.  If I jump down, I will probably break some bones.  If I drop down, I can only hope to land in the bushes below.  After a silent debate with myself for several moments, I decide to just allow myself to drop down after I lower myself over the edge as far as I can.