Ch8: Five Minutes

Five minutes.

I leave him for five minutes, and I come out to people screaming, a police car on its way, and Taehyung on top of an unconscious man with what looks like a broken jaw.

I try to pull Taehyung off of that man, and we both end up handcuffed inside a police station. Taehyung, as the Code Red Hybrid who attacked a man, and I, his irresponsible guardian.

"I said I work for the HRC!" I argue for the nth time. "So I definetely have permission. It's not against the law for a Code Red to walk in the streets, so you can't take him away from me!"

"But it's against the law for him to attack a man like that. Do you know where that man is right now, Miss? He's in the emergency, and they're not sure if he'll make it or not," The office in front of me says, his tone as unbothered as ever. "If he dies, your hybrid will be taken away from you, to prison where he belongs, and you'll be charged, too, since he's your responsibility."

I sigh and lean back, fiddling with my handcuffs. "Call my boss. I have the right to call someone."

He rolls his eyes but obliges anyway and hands me the phone. After I beg my boss to come and get me out, I sit back impatiently, nervously biting my lip and bobbing my leg up and down.

Taehyung is locked inside, and I can't help but wonder what he might be doing. I silently pray for him to not attack anyone else.

"Min Hanseol?"

My ears perk at the familiarity of my name, and even more at the familiarity of the voice. I grin and turn my head towards my boss, whose expression makes my smile fall.

His eyebrows are furrowed, and there's an obvious frown on his face. He glares at me, and one of his eyebrows twitches.

He's dead serious.

His hands are tucked in his dress pants' pockets as he takes long strides towards me. He stops beside me and stares at the police officer dead in the eye.

He reaches his hand into his blazer's inner pocket as he speaks, "My name is Kim Namjoon, and I'm the founder and CEO of the Hybrids' Rigjts Corporation," He pulls out his business card and the officer accepts it.

"Min Hanseol works at my company, and has the permission of adopting a Code Red. She has been reckless and irresponsible, so immature of her," He eyes me. "To leave her hybrid alone. I sincerely apologize and if the victim wants to press any charges against my employee, I, personally, will take care of it. The hybrid is my responsibility, too."

"But he's written under her name," The officer replies.

"He's a project," Mr.Kim smiles, a fake smile at that. "Our company's project and responsibility. He's the company's hybrid, even if he's written under Min Hanseol's name."

The officer hums, and rubs his chin thoughtfully. "Alright, but the hybrid isn't allowed to go home until we make sure the victim is fine, and whether he wants to press charges against you or not."

Mr.Kim smiles and looks down, his dimples in full view, then he looks back at the officer and speaks. "May I have a private talk with you," He glances at his name tag, "Officer Park?"

I glance at my boss and notice the atmosphere going thick, so I speak up. "While you guys have a private talk, may I speak to my hybrid?"

Officer Park gestures another officer to remove my handcuffs, and he guides me to where Taehyung is. I leave just as Kim Namjoon starts talking, and the only words I catch are "let's talk this out professionally, officer Park."

I'm taken to a small cell where Taehyung's in with his hands cuffed, too. There's a constant glare in his eyes, but it changes the slightest bit when he sees me.

The officer unlocks the cell and stands in his place. "Can't leave you alone. You've got five minutes."

I walk in anyway and sit beside Taehyung, not knowing how to start.

"Why did you do that?" I ask calmly.

Taehyung crosses his arms over his chest and leans back. "He said I don't belong to this world, so I showed him why I don't."

I sigh and look down. "I told you to ignore anyone, didn't I?"

He shrugs.

I massage my temples and let out a deep breath. "You might go to jail. The man might die."

"And I might not care." He rolls his eyes.

I turn to face him. "Why aren't you taking this seriously?" I ask, evident annoyance in my tone.

"Because it doesn't matter," He pauses. "Going to jail. It's no different from staying in the shelter. It's no different from staying with a human who treats me like an animal."

"Do I treat you like an animal?" My voice cracks, and I clear my throat when I notice.

"Not yet, no," He says.

"Not yet? I'd never do that."

He shrugs. "That's what they all say."

"But right now I'm not," I swallow the lump in my throat. "Right now I'm not treating you like an animal. I treat you like a friend, I let you go out, I even removed your collar once. Being treated nicely, and living with full rights. Living with no fear of leaving home or of going home and not finding anyone waiting for you, don't you want that, Taehyung? Don't you dream of it? Because I can promise you all that, only if you trust me."

He scoffs and shakes his head. "You're delusional. People make promises, and people break them. Yes, you might've been nice so far, but I can't trust you this fast. I can't say who you really are, or what your true intentions are at this point."

I sit still for a moment, my mind processing his words. I open my mouth to speak, but I am interrupted by a rough voice.

"The five minutes are over."

---

A/N: I imagined the police dude as jinyoung from got7 don't ask me why

It's 3am now I should be sleeping cuz I start my classes today but who cares when you have a hybrid taehyung au to update amiryte

Hope you're enjoying the book my suga cubes ♡