Ch7: The Park

"I want to go out."

I look up from the book in my hand to the owner of the voice. Taehyung is standing in front of me, his tail wagging the slightest and his eyes fixated on me.

His tone is demanding, he's not asking to go out. He is going out. No.

I hold back a smirk. Saw that one coming. Of course he'd ask to go out, now that he's not trapped in the shelter anymore. Dogs love going out. They hate staying at home since they're quite outgoing.

"You want to go for a walk?" I raise an eyebrow playfully.

"Yes," He states firmly, now scanning me, studying my each and every moment, trying to figure out whether I'll agree or not. Impatient much?

I smile, "Sure thing."

I catch his eyes lighting up at the very slightest, his tail now wagging faster behind him. He clenches his fist, trying to hold back, but hybrids have got no control over their tails and ears whatsoever.

"But,"

His eyes darken.

"Under one condition," I go on. "You'll promise you won't attack anyone, and you know there's no way I'll remove the collar. Very sorry. I can take it off for you at home, but not outside."

He blinks.

He shifts his weight from one leg to the other slowly, his eyes locking with mine every few seconds then wandering around.

"I can't promise you that," He starts. "But if no one pisses me off and I don't attack anyone, you'll remove the collar once we're home."

I shrug. "Promise me first."

He imitates me, shrugging. "I can't shut up if someone says something that bothers me. You know how much humans hate Code Reds."

"If someone says something bad to you, leave it to me. I'll speak, but please don't attack anyone."

He blinks again, his eyes wandering around them falling back on me.

"Deal."

I grin and run to my room, yelling a "Get ready!"

Once I shut my bedroom door, I hear quick footsteps and a loud bang. I swear he ran to his room.

I put on something comfortable as I contemplate where we should go. A park sounds nice, but it'll be filled with humans and Code Greens who'd sh*t their pants if they just glance Taehyung walking around with the red lit collar, but since it's a Wednesday, it won't be a bad decision.

"Taehyung, are you ready?!" I yell, now standing in front of my apartment door.

He shows up, with one of the sweatshirts I had bought for him. One of the sweatshirts that he said was disguisting.

I hold back a grin and walk out, gesturing Taehyung to follow me. We take the elevator to the parking lot, and get in the car.

I start the car and glance at Taehyung who's now looking out of the window expectantly. His hands are settled on his lap, and his eyes go a little wider as the car moves. He looks so innocent, so peaceful. I'd mistake him for a child if it wasn't for the metal collar adorning his neck. No one would think that this guy right there, is the one that put lots of people in the hospital and strangled me and my friend not long ago.

And now I go back to think about that day. He wasn't hurting me, because I didn't hurt him. Those three guards at the shelter in Daegu, must've hurt him in some way.

Right, he's triggered easily, and just one word will make him attack you, but I know, that deep inside, he's not a bad person.

Code Reds aren't born dangerous, it's what they've been through that made them like that. And that makes me wonder a lot about Taehyung's past, and whether he'll open up to me or not.

We reach the park sooner than I expect, and I slip out of the car with Taehyung behind me. His face is blank as he looks around, people squirming and letting out small yelps when they make eye contact with him.

Some stare in fear and walk away, while others stare in disgust. I reach out my hand to hold Taehyung's, but he pulls away and looks at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"What do you think you're doing?" He asks.

"Holding your hand," I say.

He rolls his eyes. "I'm not your boyfriend."

I sigh. His attitude will never change. I look around, my eyes landing on the ice cream parlour a few metres away.

"Do you want ice-cream?" I ask enthusiastically.

He scans me head to toe, then shrugs and looks away. That's a yes.

"What flavour?" I ask as we walk closer to the parlour.

He shrugs again.

"C'mon," I tease. "You don't have to act cool. I love chocolate. What about you?"

He glances at me then breaks eye contact. "I really don't know."

My smile falls. "You never had ice-cream before?"

He looks at me and rolls his eyes. "Stop with the pitiful look. It's not that awful. Just bring me whatever. I'll wait for you here."

I laugh sarcastically. "There's no way I'm leaving you alone."

He imitates my bitter laughter with more sarcasm. "You should read the signs first."

"What?" I blurt out and turn to the parlour, where there's a sign stuck on the outer glass.

NO CODE RED HYBRIDS ALLOWED

I frown, but I'm honestly not surprised. This sign is often seen at shops and buildings, but people never really read it, because who in their right mind would take a Code Red Hybrid to an ice-cream parlour?

"I'll take five minutes," I turn to Taehyung. "Please, please, don't cause trouble. If someone bothers you, ignore them until I come. It'll get chaotic if you don't."

He hums, not really acknowledging me. I sigh and walk in the parlour, praying that nothing will happen.

I should've left him in the car.