Chapter 37 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

Start from the beginning

"I love you too,"

I bury my face in his chest and his arms wrap around me, pulling me closer. I can never get enough of his scent. He smells really good – I can smell him all day and never get tired of it. He chuckles when he catches me sniffing him and I roll my eyes playfully. The tears have long gone and got dried on my cheeks.

Kieran walks up to me and I smile at him, thankful that I have made good friends here. Almost everyone has already left, and the people around me are only Kieran, Dave, Perry, Cloud, Marcus and the Elder to which I have yet to know the name.

"Are you alright?" Kieran asks me and I nod at him, letting out a sigh. "I made Chanteloupe stay... maybe he has an answer to what's going on with you."

"What's going on with my mate?" Marcus asks, his eyes now reflecting confusion. His eyes meet mine and I take a deep breath. Kieran meets my eyes and I simply nod at him, giving him the go signal. I'm not really sure as to why I suddenly have the capability to smell others like a wolf, but it's still there. The scent, and it's strong. But it's not the type of strong that makes me want to vomit.

"Earlier, before this happened, Nigel was able to smell us," Kieran begins and looks at the Elder expectantly. Cloud shares the same look as Marcus: confused. "And no, it's not because we smell. "He can smell whether someone is already mated and... yeah, you all get it. A werewolf trait."

"Is that true?" Marcus asks me and I nod my head. "Is there a voice inside your head? Like a different person?"

"If you're saying I have a wolf, then no," I tell them, shaking my head. "I can still smell you guys. Mated or not. I'm not really sure why. It's just so sudden. One minute I was with them, and then the next thing there's this scent I couldn't point out. And that's when they told me it's a werewolf thing. But no, I can assure you that there's no voice inside my head. I don't have a wolf."

"It could be because of the fact that you're mated to a werewolf," Chanteloupe, the Elder, says. Right now it seems like it's the most logical explanation. "Or it could be a fact that you're the Guardian of the Mortals, or both. But this is the only case I've heard of this. Just like Dave. I may have to read Book of Werewolves again, but I'm not certain the explanation is there."

"Okay, you do that." Cloud orders. "Make sure you let me know if you found something."

"Yes, Great Alpha." With a nod, Chanteloupe gets out of the room.

Marcus tenses against my touch and his eyes turn blue. Everyone heads outside except for Marcus who seems torn between joining his friends fight and leaving me here.

"Rogues!" Someone shouts and Marcus pushes me gently.

"Nigel, stay here." Marcus cups my face and plants a long kiss on my lips. "It's dangerous outside. I need to go outside and fight. Just stay here and I'll come back for you. Okay?"

Without waiting for me to reply, Marcus turns on his heel, jumps, and lands on his wolf form. This is actually the first time I've seen Marcus transforming into a wolf, and to say I'm not amazed would be a lie. No, he is magnificent and awesome. I'm not at least a bit scared. I've just seen my boyfriend transform into a wolf and I can't help but admire it. The way he landed with grace is perfect.

Marcus glowed when he transformed.

The shouting continues and I can hear the snarls and growls of the werewolves. My heart races and I think of Marcus to calm it down. But it's not working. Somehow the images of him dying in the hands of the rogue keep flashing inside my head. Never have I felt so useless and weak in my life. My mate is out there, fighting for others' lives and I'm here, doing nothing and waiting for here to come back. I know I was ordered to stay out of danger, but I can't just literally do nothing. I can't just stand here. I could help the others evacuate.