Chapter 31 - Marcus Pierce

Chapter 31
Marcus Pierce

Nigel has been in and out of the pack house, considering that he's still a hundred percent human, which means that he has to go home, go to school, and do human stuff. I mean, I tried to be human for Good Goddess' sake, and I didn't like it. There were things I didn't understand, and there were things I enjoyed doing so. But the thing is, I'm a werewolf. I'm a Guardian. I have jobs to do, duties to do. So that's why enough is enough, considering that I have already achieved my goal – that is to be with my mate, and Nigel accepts me for who I really am. So I quit school, and according to Nigel, everyone was wondering why I did so. There is a rumor spreading that the reason why I quit is because of the werewolves' attack that happened before. But that's not the case.

Cloud, being a generous Great Alpha he is, has instructed to fifteen pack warriors, all trained to be the best, to be Nigel's bodyguards. Since I'm back in the pack land, as much as I want to keep my eyes on my mate, there are things that I need to attend. I'm confident that the pack warriors would protect and keep my mate safe.

While I was gone, Perry was the one temporarily assigned to meet with the other packs for merging. Cloud told me that Perry was bad at that job because he is easily-irritated. It doesn't matter if Cloud is the Great Alpha – the Alphas of the Alpha, but some packs don't agree with merging with us, or being under the direct watch of Cloud. As a Guardian, it's one of my duties to make sure that each pack in United States has some sort of alliance, being a bridge towards peace.

"Good thing you're back," Cloud says as he runs his fingers through his already disheveled hair, messing it even further. "Perry is just bad at talking with other packs. You're a legend to it."

"You know Perry," I tell him, rolling my eyes playfully as I watch he and his mate argue near the table where the Lunas, including Cloud's mate, are having a discussion about the plans for the full moon. "He's a hot-headed guy and not very good at talking. He's a brat. You know he used to get whatever he wanted, and the only thing he didn't easily get was his mate."

"Yeah, I remember him having a fuss about it after Kieran..." His eyes flash, and I can practically see the gears working inside his head; he remembers the day he rejected his mate, which resulted to Kieran breaking the law. Cloud didn't see his mate after a year, and he struggled a lot. While Kieran was away, Cloud used to have panic attacks and nightmares, and Chanteloupe, the head of the Elders, had to interfere for him to survive the night. Even the Great Alpha couldn't take the pain of being without his mate. I was there; I watched him cry, and I comforted him. Perry was there, but we weren't much of a help. So we tried to find him and didn't stop. We had spread the word, made contacts with the other packs, and even hired a human investigator just to find him, then we found out Kieran was adopted and brought to United Kingdom. Cloud smiles, shaking his head. "After he left, we were all broken. Me rejecting my mate, Perry not knowing that he had a male mate too, and you being mateless."

"That's actually the Good Goddess letting us know how we really fucked up," I tell him as I chuckle, shaking my head from the fresh memory embedded inside my head. "But I'm glad things are going fine. You're getting married with Kieran, Perry discussing pups with Dave, and me finding my mate and being accepted by him."

I look back at the moments where I was trying to find my mate – I felt hopeless, thinking that I would never have a mate. I was dying inside, not knowing what to do if I really didn't have a mate. But then Nigel came into my life and made me realize that I was dead wrong.

"So you'll be fine handling the Cornerstone Pack?" Cloud eyes me, looking for a sign that I wouldn't be alright. I shake my head. "Very well, then. If you need my help, you know how to contact me."