Preface

“Who else would it be?” I reply, tears beginning to stream down my face and ruin my makeup. We sit there for what feels like forever. He lets go of my hands. “Please say something.” I beg. Harry grasps his glass and tosses it back, gulping the entire drink. I feel sick so I don’t touch my soda. All I want to do is be in his arms, now. I feel as if I am crumbling from the inside. I reach for his hand, and fumble with his fingers. When I look up from my shoes, his eyes are dark. He looks at me like a complete stranger. His arms fall to his sides and he leaves his chair, backing away. He looks scared, which I am too, and that’s why I need him.

      “Please,” I try one last time, “why are you doing this? Don’t leave me again.” But it's too late. I lose him in the crowd of people. The familiar numbness of being alone washes over me. He’s gone.

_________________________________

My face feels hot, and I’ve stopped listening to what Zayn has to say. I force myself past him and go back into my room. Zoe’s still asleep. It’s all I can do to not shake her awake right then and show her the picture, but I know it would break this fragile happiness she’s built up over the past few days. I won’t do that to her. I won’t lie to her either.