Some Realisations

Some days past by with no unusual circumstance. With winter hitting London in full throttle, snow blanketed the entirety of the city, making no dent in the general business of the day to day. As I looked below, my eyes followed the masses travelling home, or their version of a home, as it was Friday night and the pubs were bound to be full. The calamity of the happenings below disconnected themselves from me, as the Strand continued on with their business. I pressed my freshly finished cigar against the cold bricks that composed the tall building, hearing the slight hiss of the remaining flame with the white snow. With another gush of blistering wind, I decided that the day was closing to an end, from this viewpoint anyway. I made my way down the building, using the smaller building neighbouring my original location. As I set foot to the ground again, I made way for the train station, where the train would be due in soon.

As I strolled past the various walks of life, I reflected on the past events of the passing week. Evie had found another recruit to take my spot to go to America. Despite Corener's men chasing me, Evie found out that I was just a ploy, and they had an informant on the inside somewhere, leading us to be deliberately manipulated. Although I was disappointed that I could not be of any more use, I was more disappointed that I missed an opportunity to see my brothers again. Although they were all spread for the time being, there is always a high chance of at least one of them being out our birth place. Then there was Victoria. I couldn't help it, but against my better judgement, I decided to look into this girl. With ample spying and research, I found that her name was Victoria Lardner, and she was the daughter of middle class iron monger, who had a side business of abortions on the side. Not that I could confirm the link, but Victoria being the only daughter with a mother who has passed, must have meant that she was the one who carried out the medical procedures, with an iron monger's knowledge only extending so far on the female body. And even aside from this was the situation with Danford. Although those loose ends appeared to be tied, I wasn't so sure.

I retreated from my inner self, and was faced with the hideout train, presently slowing down in front of me. I saw a few Rooks to the right, waiving at me. I smile and walk onto the train. I decide to walk towards the bar carriage. As I travel to said carriage, I notice that the train is in a slight disarray. Piles of books everywhere, coats laid out in every direction. Endless amounts of paper piled onto everything in sight. I guess Evie has been busy. I ordered a drink and sat at the bar. I hear some light footsteps coming in my direction. Evie appears, stacks of papers in hand.

"(Y/N), how are you?"

"Fine, how about you? You look busy."

"Ugh it never ends, not that I'm complaining," she exasperates, dumping the pile of paper on the bar and sitting next to me. She picks up a small card out of the stack and hands it to me.

"I know you're busy, but Agnes, the cook, has a sister who is willing to take Charlotte in and raise her with her other three children. These are her details, and I was wondering if you could take Charlotte and help her settle in." I run my thumb over the small blue card.

"Thank you so much Evie. I know we're not an adoption agency, but I just wanted the best for her. She's already had such a terrible start to life."

"No need to thank me, but you should thank Agnes. She's the one who asked her sister."

"I'll take her tomorrow afternoon."

"That's perfect. Now if you'll excuse me, Mr. Green is waiting for these papers," Evie exclaims, gathering all of the paper.

"The papers aren't the only thing he is waiting for," I grin, gesturing to the doorway, where none other than the man in question was waiting. I caught a fleeting blush from Evie, as she got up and walked towards him. Just as they were walking away, Evie came running back.

"Sorry, I forgot. This letter came for you." She placed the white envelope, which was littered with stamps, on the bar table next to my drink. Judging by the array of postage stamps, this letter must be from America. I got up and started to walk back to my carriage. As I walked, I couldn't resist the temptation to open the envelope. The return address was labelled to France. I stop, and sit down on an armchair in one of the middle carriages.

'Dear (Y/N),

I can't believe how long it's been since I've seen you, how do you like London? I'm sure it's getting cold now. I'll keep this short because I don't have much time, but a group of us, including Nathanial, are coming to London in about a two months' time. The London order will formally announce it when the time comes closer. We're going to be staying in a safe house I believe, and we can't wait to see you. I just thought I would tell you in advance. Please write back soon,

Francis'

I looked closer at the envelope, and notice that it was stamped with a 'miss delivered' mark, which means that Francis and Nathanial would be coming in a matter of a few weeks. I get the feeling that Francis was excluding something from his letter, intentionally.

"Interesting letter?"