Belongings of Thy

Jacob

I wipe my hand over the box, which was caked in dust. I run my hand on my jacket to rid the dust and pick up the box labeled 'Jacob'

"Did you find them?" Charlotte asks excitedly, sitting on my couch.

"Yep, they should be in this box if I remember correctly. I think there's some other stuff in here too plus the figurines" I say to her. She sits up, from her slouched posture.

"Are there any books?" she asks. I chuckle and sit next to her.

"I was never keen on studying Charlotte, or reading for that matter. I still don't like them" I say looking at her. She just giggles and shakes her head.

"I was always more interested in combat you see. More fighting, less writing I say. Evie was more the academic out of the two of us"

"I expected as much" Charlotte responds, in a very condescending tone. She really is smart for a girl of few years.

"Let's see whats inside" I say, as impatient as Charlotte herself. I lift the lid of the mahogany box. On the very top was a smaller wooden box that had defiantly seen better days. The writing was even unreadable. I hand it to Charlotte and keep looking. I hear her slide open the box.

"Its dice. There's seven here, but I think one is missing" she says, taking a closer look at a blue die that she held in her small fingers.

"Ah, well yes. I had a tendency to loose things as a child" I say. As she continues to rattles around the dice, I take the next thing out of the box, which to my complete shock, was in fact a book. 'A Complete Guide To Tying Knots' by K. Maran.

"Charlotte look. A book" I say handing the book to her. Just sitting underneath the book was a piece of rope.

"And something to practice with" I say, passing her the rope. She smiled and immediately opens the book as fast as her hand will let her.

"This stuff looks hard" she says, furrowing her brown at the open book in her lap.

"I'm sure its nothing you can't handle" I say winking at her. She nods and starts tying the old piece of rope. The next thing that catches my attention in the box, was a butterfly pinned to a piece of wood, in glass casing.

"Hey Charlotte, two crowns if you can find out what butterfly this is by the end of the week"

"Deal" she says, not even looking up from the knot book. I find my military figurines, but seeing how Charlotte was preoccupied, I left them for her later. I found a few coins, a dead moth; much to Charlotte's disgust, a old pair of shoes and an old deck of cards. After that, I found an old compass. This I definitely remember. I used to take it everywhere with me as a child. Haha, I even told Evie where north was so she could go find her brain, which was usually followed by her fist coming in contact with my face. I still have a bruise on my nose to this day. The small compass was wooden and had my initials messily carved into the side.

"What's that?" Charlotte finally piped up.

"Oh, so you're bored of the book now?"

"No, I finished all the knots"

"What? Already?"

"Yes, look" she says, holding up the piece of rope, which was twisted into a strange, complicated looking knot. I nod, slightly frightened at how smart this little kid is. Or, maybe that's just all kids that actually pay attention. It's beyond me.

"Anyway, have a look at my compass. It's old, but I'm pretty sure it still works" I hand it to her. She clicks it open. She looks around the room and back at the compass.

"It's slightly off, but yes it still works" she says, taking a closer look at it. I wonder if she had a tutor. Unlikely, with her father involved in the drug ring.

"Hey Charlotte, where did you learn all this stuff?"

"There was a doctor who used to live next to me at my old house. After his wife died, he decided to retire. He offered to teach me, since my father couldn't afford a real teacher" she said, with a degree of sadness on her face. I decided to dismiss the subject, to avoid upsetting her.

"I want to be a doctor you know, when I get older, but I don't think I'll be able to get into an academy to study" she says, looking down. When young girls are asked 'What do you want to do when you're older?", you usually get the respond 'princess' or 'dancer'.

"Well, I think you could easily get in on a scholarship. The Bethnal Green takes two a year, however, seeing as you're a girl-"

"I would be seen as incapable, I know. I would settle for being a nurse though" she says before I can.S Shame, we would have a lot more capable doctors if women were allowed to practice.

"Is there any reason you're leaning towards medical, Charlotte?"

"I just want to help people" she responds. Wise girl. Maybe someday she could join the order, perhaps as medical aid.

"What do you do, Jacob?" she asks. I panic. What am I meant to tell her? 'Oh I'm an Assassin. Yeah I murder people for a living'. I need her to trust me.

"I'm a spy, but it's a secret. So you can't tell anyone" I say. She zips her mouth and smiles.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Here are the figurines. Maybe you could make a battle strategy. I can look at it later when I come back"

"Haha, okay. Are you going somewhere?" she says, taking the figurines from my hands.

"I'm just going on a work trip. You can go sit on my desk if you like, there's paper in the second draw and ink is on the table"

"Thanks Jacob" she says. She jumps up and kisses my cheek and puts her little arms around my neck. I laugh and hug her back. She lets go and takes two pillows off the couch and stacks them on my chair. She climbs up onto my chair and starts looking for paper. I go to put the box away, when I see something silver rattle in the box. I put it out of the box and find a photo frame. I dust it off, and realize its a painting of my mother. I sigh and sit back on the floor. I never got to meet her, and it kills me everyday. Dad told us she was an incredible woman, as a wife and part of the order. As her last act, she brought Evie and I into the world.

"Jacob?" I put down the photo frame and look behind me.

"(Y/N), ready?"

"Yeah, are you ok?"

"I'm fine. What are you doing Charlotte?" I hear (Y/N) and Charlotte start to talk in the background. I put the photo frame on the coffee table. I smile and leave the box on the floor for Charlotte. I put my jacket back on and check my bullet stores.

"Bye Charlotte" I say. After (Y/N) says goodbye, we get off the train at White Chapel. Being a Saturday night, the station was crowded which was good, less possibility of being seen.

"So, where are we going?"