Unsympathetic

I blink my eyes in disbelief. Suddenly I can't feel my legs, as they threatened to give way. I push through the crowd, heading in the opposite way, praying to any higher being that Jacob didn't see me standing and staring at him, with a sheer look of idiocy on my face. I find a half vacated bench and take the free side. My right arm finds its way to the arm rest, and grips onto it tightly, as if holding on for life. I take a deep breath, and put the box still on my lap, on the floor next to me, hearing the wrapping rustle slightly.

Who was she?

I keep trying to convince myself that she was a relation of some kind. A aunt, a cousin, or a long lost sister. Of course it couldn't be. I feel my eyes becoming damp, as my vision becomes slightly blurred. Jacob wasn't anything to me than a work mate, a colleague. I couldn't claim to be his wife, or his current love interest. I am not his devoted love, nor his amoureux . I wasn't his fiance, or his courting partner. What was I to him? I somehow started to believe that he had feelings for me, that I could have feelings for him too.

I snap out of my own disturbed mind, and become aware of reality. I wipe my eyes quickly, before anyone notices anything. I plaster on a blank look on my face, and forcefully loosen my grip on the bench. There is nothing to be upset about. I take a moment to collect my thoughts. I peer up to the train, to still see it stationed at the cargo lane. I pick up the somewhat forgotten box on the floor and walk towards the train. I push on each of my pining legs to put one in front of the other. I suddenly reach the step of the train. I take a long breath, smelling the smoke from all the various trains. I step onto the higher ground, thankfully managing to stand upright. Who knew that could be such a task. I briskly walk to my quarters, trying to avoid the attention of anyone who may be lingering on the now moving train. I manage to make it to my carriage undetected, as the train appears to be empty. He is obviously here somewhere. Probably in his room. I slide the door open, quite aggressively at that. I almost gasp in shock, when I see Jacob sitting on my bed. I feel blood rushing to my face, and then realising that he haven't known that witnessed what had just happened prior. I turn away to my closet and avoid eye contact with the younger Frye who obviously is trying to get my attention.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, bordering rudeness in my tone. He makes a scoff.

"I've been waiting for you for hours. Where have you been?" he responds. That was a blatant lie. You had just saw that bastard walk on to the train mere minutes before you did.

"I was seeing someone." I say, turning around, and smirking. I hope the facade is holding up, because I feel like I'm about to vomit. He raises an eyebrow.

"I wasn't aware that you knew anyone around here." he deduces.

"What? Do you think you are the only person I know." I scold.

"Well, besides the help" he retorts, with a rude smirk. I roll my eyes at his comment, or rather  and turn back towards the closet. I hear him stand up, and walk towards me. I can feel his breath on my shoulder.

"What's that?" he asks, enquiring after the brown box in my hands. I bought it for you with the last of my money, but am now deciding not to give it to you because I saw you with a cheap hooker.

"They're new shoes for my brother. Is that okay with you?" I say shortly.

"Which one?" he asks. 

"None of your business." I stubbornly blurt out. For a moment, a just a moment, he shows a look of hurt on his face. He then angrily turns around.

"That just fine, (Y/N). How about we get going?" he says, walking away from me. The absence of his warmth sends a chill down my spine.

"Get going where?"

"To investigate Corner's associates?" he says, in a questioning manner.

"Oh right." I say, recalling last night's discussion. We're supposed to be doing this together, but I can barely even look at him. 

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you were the one taking the Opium." he says, letting out a laugh at his own stupid joke. I sarcastically laugh, as I follow him out of my room. While he sorts through the mound of rubbish on his desk, looking for something apparently, I shut my eyes and think.  I sit as we wait for the train to stop. He sits across from me. We wait in silence. I hear the train starting to pull the breaks, and the train slowly comes to a complete stop, letting out one ear ringing whistle. 

"Let's go." he says, almost silently.