Silver Buttons

The opening of a door startled me awake. I sat up in my spot and reached for my gun, not recognizing my surroundings. I look up with weary eyes, to see Jacob standing at the threshold of the room.

"If you shoot me, the cut on my face will really put things into retrospective," he says, gesturing towards the gun that I was now pointing at him. I immediately lowered the gun. I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Sorry, just a habit. I'm in an unfamiliar place and better safe than sorry." He just smiles holding onto his bare stomach with one hand.

"It's not a bad one, if you enjoying staying alive," he says, drifting into thought. I realize that he isn't wearing anything spare his pants. I get up and collect his things.

"Looks like you are going to have to wear the jacket and overcoat. Your shirt had been drenched with blood and I had to throw it away, " I say, passing him his clothes.

"I think I'm going to have to say the same to you. Thank you for ripping your shirt to stop my bleeding. The doctor said it could have been a lot worse if you were not there. So what I am really trying to say, is thank you (Y/N)," he awkwardly smiles and starts to layer on his clothing.

"It's fine, though you do owe me an another shirt," I smile and he laughs. He finishes putting on his weapons and attempts to bend down and put on his shoes. He winces in pain and stands back up. Before he tries again I interject.

"Let me do it."

"No, you've already done enough (Y/N)," he tries again and makes a distressing sound of pain.

"Jacob, just let me do it." I gently push him down to sit on the bed. I kneel in front of him and place each boot onto his feet. I gently tighten them and tie the knot. I do the same for the other shoe.

"Thank you," he says pulling me gently back up. I smile and open my mouth to talk when the doctor walks in.

"Jacob! Good to see you up and wondering around without permission, as per usual but I am afraid that you're going to take it easy for the next few days at the least, preferably weeks, but considering your line of work I doubt my instructions are going to be followed." Jacob nodded and thanked the doctor. Jacob was walking towards the exit and I also thank the doctor.

"Please make sure that he takes some rest," he says to me, looking back at Jacob.

"I will try sir, but I'm afraid his opinion is always the most important to him," I say. The doctor lets out a laugh. He hands me a small, brown bottle.

"These are painkillers, just in case his pain gets too much," he says. I nod and follow after Jacob. I catch up behind the tall man and follow him out. The carriage from last night was still there. I climb onto the driver's seat and I extend my arm to Jacob.

"Come on." He reluctantly takes my arm, afraid to overwhelm me with his weight, and I hoist him up. I couldn't help but smile at his touch.

"I think the train will be at Kings Cross in ten minutes," he says looking at his pocket watch. I nod and ask for directions. I hear my stomach growl and hope that Jacob didn't. I follow Jacob's instructions and move forward.

"Thank you again for everything (Y/N), all things considered you didn't have to help me but you did and I really do appreciate it," he says, looking away. I feel the blood rush to my cheeks.

"Jacob you don't have to keep thanking me if anything, I've proven I'm up to the job now," I say, laughing his deep attitude off.

"Turn left," he says smiling at me. We arrive at the station and get out of the carriage. Kings Cross was busy. People running in all directions, merchants chanting their specials and trains whistling violently. Jacob and I sit on a free bench, that was recently vacant.

"I'm going to buy us some food. I don't know if you're hungry, but I sure as hell am," says Jacob. I pull out some money to offer him but he's already walked away. I see a small child run and fall on the ground. I glanced around the buzzing platform, but couldn't see any prospective parents around.

"All right mate?" I ask him. He looks up and nods.

"Yes miss. I am fine," he says and runs away. What a strange little boy. I return to the bench seat to find four people already sitting on it. As I scan the station for another seat, I spot Jacob walking in my direction.

"Here, it's a cinnamon twist," he says, handing me a warm pastry, wrapped in some butchers paper. Along with the sharp winter chill of the morning, it truly was perfect.

"Thank you," I say, taking a rather unfeminine bite out of the small piece of heaven. Jacob gives me a weird look, with a hooked eyebrow, which I chose to ignore.

"Oh and before I forget, here," he handed me a neatly wrapped paper brown parcel. I open it carefully, undoing it at the string and see a simple white linen shirt. I pull it out of its wrappings, to see shining silver buttons, with a cross design on each of them.

"I hope it fits, I didn't know your size," he looks away, to hide his blush. I smile at his awkward gesture.

"Thank you Jacob. You didn't have to buy me this."

"Well yes I did. Your other one was used as bandages," he laughs. I look at the under shirt. It looked a little big, but it should fit me fine. I put in back in its wrappings, as I notice the train pulling into the station.

I let Jacob get on first, noticing him still struggling to walk as he holds on to the trains thresholds as he steps onto it. I smile as I look at the train, looking at the place I will learn to call home.