Husband, Again

Jacob

I find the money in my pocket and hand the florist his due. I look around the street that was only just starting to see first lights of day. I left the theater room just for an hour, as strongly advised by the on-duty nurse. I took the roses off the man and said goodbye. The flowers wrapped in brown paper fell softly in my right arm. I passed a few drunks on the street, along with a few early risers walking around. The quiet talking of people mixed with the sound of restless birds created a harmonious yet chaotic charm that defined London. I made my way back to the medical house. I didn't want (Y/N) to be alone when she woke up.

(Y/N). She had burst into my life and became my priority. My father had always said that I just wasn't 'build to hold onto things' but it seems like in this case I am doing exactly that. I can't let go. She's different and not in the way that any ordinary person would think, like an unusual hair colour or an interesting background. No, there was something about her that makes you want more.

I try to put my wandering mind at ease as I turn at the end of the street and walk towards the front door of the medical building. A man was standing against the front wall.

"Morning."

"Morning," I return. He looked like a silver smith, or lock smith.

"The wife sick?" he asks.

"Ah, no. I'm not married" I say, followed by an awkward smile from myself.

"That's not a wedding ring?" he asks, gesturing toward my hand. I look down at my hand and see that in fact I was wearing my 'wedding ring'.

"No, I really should go," I say quickly, trying to get out of the situation. I walk in with the flowers and close the door behind me. The same nurse was sitting at the front desk. She looked up and smiled at me.

"Back already?" she says, tilting her head slightly.

"I only went out for a stroll."

"And flowers too?" she asks inquisitively eying the floral arrangement in my hand. I sigh and sit down.

" She's not awake, but she's out of theatre," she says, pointing towards a room with the number twelve plastered on it in silver.

"Did it go well?" I ask, for reassurance. She simply nods.

"There were no apparent complications."

"Is she well enough to see people?"

"Only close relations and seeing as you're her husband I think she'll be glad to see you."

"Actually she's-" I pause to examine the stern woman's face. "Yes, I would like to see her."

I gently pushed the door open to reveal four beds divided into the four corners of the room. They had simple curtains creating walls between the beds. The first one I looked at was empty and the white sheets laid unanimated. The bed opposite had the curtain half closed which revealed an elderly sleeping man.

I continued to walk forwards, which revealed a section of the large room which was entirely closed off with curtain. I saw her lying in the last bed on the left. I sigh and take a seat next to the bed. I put the flowers flat onto the table beside the bed. I instantly see her bruised eye, with the cut slashing threw her delicate eyebrow. Her nose had a small purple stained bruise just at the ridge. She slept on her side, facing towards me with one of her arms under the sheets and the other one lying on top of the white sheet. Her small hand had burns and cuts in several places which were highlighted by two rings resting on her thin finger. One diamond and one band. I had only now noticed that our bands are the same design. I gently lift her hand softly into mine and look closer at the ring. I wonder where Evie got these from in the first place. They were both gold with an etching of an emblem. Probably belonged to a Templar. I wonder why she was still wearing it. I wonder why I was still wearing it. I notice the sleeping beauty shuffling around in her spot. I quickly put her hand down beside her and return my attention to her eyes.

"Hmm," she mumbles.

"Don't move around too much. You need to rest," I say. She shifts around in her white medical gown and opens her eyes to a soft light of the early morning.

"Jacob?" Her voice sounds both exhausted and diffused.

"Yes, it's me. "I realize that she is holding her stomach. I gently bring up the sheets to see her gown and sheets had stains of blood on them. Fresh blood.

"I'll be right back. Just don't move," I reassure her and walk out of her section and then out of room twelve.

"Come quick, there's something wrong. The blood looks new," I say to the nurse. A sharp scream calls behind me. (Y/N).