Fresh Eyes

The sun blazed over the cobble stone buildings, slowly illuminating the city. I looked back at the woven basket, and pick up the last thing in it. A pair of Jacobs underwear. It was a cream colour with black finishing. I blush furiously when I realize how long I've been staring at them and quickly pin it onto the line.

"Thank you so much, Ms. (L/N)." Catherine says, picking up the basket.

"Anytime, and please call me (F/N)" I say, smiling at the pale woman.

"I'm off, I have to go to the markets. Will you be alright? I know you haven't been in London long. Can you find your way back?"

"I'll be fine. I've got some exploring to do. You know? Familiarize myself with the place" I say smiling. I hand Catherine her things as she walks away with a final wave. I wave back at her as she opens the gate and leaves. Catherine explained to me she did a lot of work in this safe house, mostly the washing. It was an old building, it did have to blend in after all, but there was a sort of rustic appeal to it. I opened the side door, and left the back garden. I was instantly confronted with a thick fog, and the morning hymn of London. People hurried by me, in every possible direction. I looked at a nearby clock, seeing it was almost five am. I walk along the street, along with several other people. I take in the morning smell of fresh bread, and a rather unpleasant whiff of horse shit. I continue walking along, when I observe a clothing store. The wooden framed windows, displaying a pair of mahogany boots. They entice me into walking through the shop's threshold, triggering the bell above the door.

"'Ello love. Can I help you with anything?" I instantly turn to what appears to be the shop assistant or owner. He's quite tall, even so that you can observe his height while he is leaning against the counter. He has impossibly blonde hair, slicked back towards his black coat, paired with a white undershirt. His daunting blue eyes challenged the brightness of his hair, which seemed to gain the first attention of a viewer. All of his buttons are made of silver, which is odd. I then realise he had asked me a question.

"Can I have a look at those boots in the window?" I say, gesturing towards the window. He doesn't move, besides from raising his right eyebrow.

"They're men's boots" he blurts, quite sharply.

"I'm fully aware. The design looks American" I state, in a matter of factly way.

"How did you know that?" he asks, with a look of question. I only laugh, and cross my arms.

"I'm from the country in question. (F/N) (L/N)" I say, with my arm stretched out. He takes my hand, but instead of shaking it, he leans down to kiss it. Much to his surprise, his eyes were met with gold knuckle dusters, instead of bare skin. He smirks.

"Jack Danford. Pleasure is all mine" he says, and to my surprise, proceeds to kiss the metal portion of my hand. I retract my hand and shove it into my pocket. He lets out a satisfied sigh as he turns towards the boots and brings them to the bench.

"I'm not going to bother asking about that contraption sprawled to your hand. I know ladies like to keep their secrets to themselves these days" he says, putting the boots down across from me. I run my fingers over the soft leather, branded into designs, intertwined with each other. Though the exterior was a soft leather, it was bonded with strong support and hard bearings. I think back to that night, my first in London, where I waited for the doctor to operate on Jacob. I held his clothing and weapons in my arms, and his boots sat next to me. As I slid the boots off his feet, I noticed that they were fairly old. Ripping at the seams almost. The sole on the left on seemed especially detached. Overall, the black footings had seen better days.

I pushed the money, almost all that I had on me, towards the man. He gave me an odd look and then nodded as he proceeded to process the purchase. He wrapped them into brown paper and put them in a box. He tied the box closed and pushed it back to me.

"He is one lucky man" he says, with a sinful smirk on his face. I feel heat rising to my face, and find myself without anything to say. I have a awkward nod in place of any words, and headed for the door.

"Come again lovey if you ever need anything. Or need a someone" he added the last part with a husky voice. I cannot help wondering what else that voice is hiding. His dark, illustrious voice.

"I'll keep that in mind" I say, finally getting my sense back. I push the door open and enter the street once again. I decide it's probably time to get back to the train. I head for the nearest station. As I make my way through the crowd to get the upcoming train, I see Jacob, not far from me. I smile, keeping a tight grip on my new purchase. I push myself harder through the swarm to catch up with him. I look over a mans shoulder to keep Jacob in my line of sight, only to realise he is not alone. A girl with long blonde hair rules out my suspicion of her being Evie. The extremely tall girl, wearing an emerald dress had her arm wrapped around Jacob's bicep. Before I know it, the train has arrived and Jacob says goodbye to the woman. She whispers something into his ear and kisses his cheek, lingering for a moment. She then stalks away, leaving me in sight of Jacob.