Title Chapter 11

"What's wrong?" Indyira asked when Zuko suddenly looked up. They had been huddled together in his room in the bunker for nearly an hour - holding each other and trying to steel themselves for what was coming. Zuko let go of him and looked down at his hands. He attempted to bend. He also tried to blow his dragon breath but nothing happened.

"The eclipse started... I can't firebend." Zuko said. His voice had a tremble to it. Indyira doubted there was ever a time he couldn't bend. Even as child he may not have been as great as he was now but it was a part of him - it was like breathing. To have it suddenly gone was undoubtedly nerve racking. He grabbed Zuko's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"It's time." He insisted. Zuko had told him the first part of the plan - to confront his father during the eclipse. Indyira didn't know what it would be about but he knew it was Zuko's only chance to talk without getting his ass kicked. His father didn't like fist fighting - he saw it as beneath him. Why use your fists when you could bend? They made it to the chamber and went in.

Indyira was shocked to hear Zuko planned on joining the Avatar. He had no idea when he had this change of heart but he explained to his father how his ancestor was Avatar Roku and that it was in his blood to restore balance. Indyira had no idea that in their time apart Zuko had been visiting Iroh in jail and that their next stop would be to break him out.

"You coward—"

"Cowardice it torturing innocent people and hiding behind your throne while you use five generations of loyal subjects to fight a war for you." Zuko snapped. He grabbed Indyira's hand. "Let's go." Ozai noticed the affectionate touch - there was no reason two men their age would need to hold hands in such a way. It was frowned upon when toddlers did it.

"You're a disgrace. What Azula told me about you and this... creature is true!" They both gasped when he admitted he knew about their relationship.

"My name is Indyira and your daughter is a perverted sadist. She's been beating and molesting me while her Dai Li agents hold me down." Indyira spoke up. He wasn't sure what posessed him to even open his mouth - if looks could kill the sneer that Ozai shot at him would've made his head explode.

"It's what you deserve half breed." Ozai said as he stood up. "You're so brave right now. Why not face me when the eclipse is over?"

"I don't want to be responsible for your death." Indyira quipped. He moved to leave but Zuko didn't budge. "Zuko... don't fall for this." Zuko looked at him for a moment.

"If anyone comes through that door, stop them." He instructed before he gave his swords to Indyira. He took them and guarded the door. The room was eerily quiet. Every now and then he could hear an explosion from the war raging above ground. The ceiling crumbled a little but never gave way. The noise moved on - seemingly rolling right over them. Even though he couldn't bend Indyira felt it the second the eclipse was over. An odd feeling shot up his back - not unlike the first strike with Azula's lightening whip. He jumped when Ozai shot his lightening at Zuko. Indyira's eyes went wide when Zuko caught it. He was expecting to see Zuko's charred corpse hit the ground in front of him but he redirected it and sent the blast back at his father. Ozai wasn't prepared for his skill and was pummeled by his own attack.

------

Indyira felt like he couldn't breathe. He didn't like heights and the hot air balloon just kept going higher and then Zuko propelled it forward Indyira could feel that there was nothing beneath his feet. His stomach did a flip and he bent over the back of the basket as he threw up. He felt Zuko's hands in his hair - pulling it back from his face as he heaved. He coughed and spit before he righted himself.