Waves (oneshot)

I sat pressed up against the cliff behind me, watching the waves crash against it. My tail swam below me, keeping me still against the current that so badly wanted to take me with it. My eyes kept flickering down the cliff where I heard the ground dwellers yelling, shouting and laughing as if they were having a good time.

I was, different I guess. I longed for land as much as the next finned girl, but I wasn't stupid enough to go searching for it. I looked too different, my eyes too green and my hair changing color against the water. That as well as the fact I had a tail sprouted out where my legs should be.

I knew enough about their lives, from books and waterlogged magazines being accidentally lost within the waters waves, to simply watching them along the north shore. They were simple creatures that acted way too much about the other creatures in their world, something I could attest to.

I drifted along the edge, closer to the noise than I should've dared. I peaked around the sharp corner, my eyes locking onto a large group along the land. Most stay on the sand, some splashed around within the waves, while one lay out onto something pink with a covering over his eyes.

I cocked my head as I watched it float farther out, my eyes flickering back to the group to see whether they would notice their fellow comrade being pulled out to sea. I watched him float past even me, the wind picking up the waves and causing him to drift even faster than before. I raised an eyebrow as I watched him, turning back to the shore just as one of them realized he was gone.

I could hear their shouting increase as I slipped into deeper water, swimming towards the rocking floating man as the wavers grew choppier. I reached him just as one crashed over him, his body waking with a start and toppling over into the deep water. I sighed as I darted down, my eyes locking onto his struggling body within the dark.

I shot to him, grasping his arm as I pulled him upwards. I flinched as he pushed and hit at me under water, my eyebrows furrowed as we grew closer to the top. You'd think he'd be grateful, what with me saving him and everything, but no, he has to try and start hitting me like I'm some common fish.

I gripes to myself inside of my head as we finally broke the surface, his mouth shooting open as he gulped large amounts of air into him. I rolled my eyes as I searched for his floating device, my hand still gripping his arm as tightly as I aloud it.

"Wait, what the fu-" He began speaking as a another crashing wave cut him off, his brown hair pushed into his face.

"I think I lost your floating device, I'm sorry." I said to him as I began pulling him along the water, my tail pushing and breaking through the intensifying waves. I could make it out ahead, right along the horizon.

I felt his body flail against every passing wave, my eyes determined to get his device and move his somewhere safe. I almost had it, almost, almost...

"Got it!" I exclaimed just as my hand grasped it, using my strength to pull the strange man and hoist him up onto the pink thing. It felt weird and even more smelt weird. I wrinkled my nose as I looked back to the man I had just saved, his blue eyes wide as he continued staring at me.

"What the actual fuck." It came out more of a statement than a question, but I didn't mind. He was staring at my chest, my nose wrinkling even more as I realized he probably wasn't use to nudity like my people were. Some wore clams against their chest, but mine was too big to be covered by their clams. Plus, they pinched my skin.

"We should really get going, I believe your friends are probably worried." I lowered myself gently, using my tail to cut through the waves as I dragged us along to the closest beach.

This one was different than the one they went to, a few miles East. It was not as full usually, today being now different with no humans in sight. I let out a sigh as I brought him as close to shore as possible, his eyes still impeccably wide while he stared at me.

"Who the fuck are you?" He asked me as he stood, one leg buckling before he righted himself. I remained in the water, my tail barely grazing the surface as I smiled up to him.

"My name is Sang, no go! Shoo! Find your friends." I felt my body sink back into the water, letting it over take me as the storm came closer to sea.

I could only hope the strange man found his family, and that I'd still elude my own.