109. Carnival

October 17, 2018

"Write a poem or story or journal entry inspired by a carnival or street fair. "

______________________________________________________________

It was a warm sunny day, a little too warm, but then a perfect day for the fair, with the blue skies that had white fluffy cotton candy clouds, which seemed to have met a match with the pink cotton candy that seemed popular with the kids and adults as well.

Seeing the joyous air around him, he decided to join in and asked for a stick of cotton candy; as he bit into the fluffy sugary floss, the usual vague memory jigged in his mind, of a very young boy around four years old, face full of the candy and staring upwards. He knew the boy was looking at his mother but he could never see her face. He had tried to jog that memory for years, but then he gave up a couple of years ago, though he could not break the habit of coming to the fair.

Twenty two years ago, at this very fair, he had been found abandoned, crying in one of the stall, his face streaked with tears and heart full of fear. A kind patron had tried in vain to search for his parents and subsequently had placed him in a nearby orphanage. One year later, with no news of his parents or any relative, that patron had adopted him. He was loved and was loved by his adoptive parents; he did not need anything else.

Or so he thought. For despite the love and family he found, there was a part of him that wanted to find out who his parent were, not because he missed them, he had no feelings for them. He just wanted an answer, 'why?' 'Why had he been abandoned that day, was it a mistake or intentional?'

It was in hopes of getting this answer that he would always visit the fair, though with each passing year his hopes dwindled. Finally on his twenty fifth birthday, he gave up his quest though not his habit of visiting the fair, now it was more of a pilgrimage for him, for it was the fair that had given him his real family.

___________________________________

Word count 352