91. Family Heirloom

September 29, 2018

"Write about an object that's been passed through the generations in your family."

_________________________________

Family Heirloom, I do not have one; and there are times when I miss not having it. Though you cannot miss what you never had, I guess I miss the idea of a family heirloom, especially when you read in books, 'This belonged to my grandmother, who got it from her grandmother and now I want you to have it'.

The romantic me goes all mushy and gooey on the inside, though the cynical me is quick to question, 'Why did the heirloom skip a generation in between, (grandmother to grandchild and not mother to child?)?' 'And now you are going to give it to your sweetheart?'  'But how did you, a guy, end up with it?'

I guess this practicality is the reason I do not have a family heirloom, after all my ancestors must have felt it stupid to cling to material possessions and pass them on to the next generation. Or maybe they did not have any great valuable one which they considered worthy to be passed on. Or maybe what they prized was not valuable so we never bothered to keep them. As a family, we are quite prone to disposing and discarding things, despite the junk (which is what my family says) that I have manged to accumulate (all the letters written to me by my school friends, all photographs, all my father's mathematical instruments and pens he used, though most do not even function). But since I do not have anyone to pass them on to, I guess even the next generation will have no family heirloom.

____________________________

Word count 260

Do any of you have any family heirlooms?