54. Dear Diary

August 23, 2018

"Write a poem or short story about a diary entry you've read or imagined."

_________________________________

And the entry ends on a cliffhanger, I mean how lame could that be? If you are confessing your deepest secrets and your darkest fears to a paper, maybe you should do it fully, not this incomplete entry.

There are so many unanswered quesions; what is your name and how old are you? I can guess but I want to know from you. Did you dance with him, despite you almost tripping over? What happened after the dance, did you go on to be friends with each other? Fine, I will make up the story.

The dance must have been fun; I will pick a soft number (you mentioned it was a birthday party so I presume you are still in school) and the both of you try to do an imitation of a waltz ( a romantic number but then on the verge of adulthood, poised to discover a romance, it seems suitable), moving slowly to the music, a rhythmic swaying of the bodies that belies the thumping flutter of your heartbeats.

The lights would be dim, not that you would really notice, being held by the person you have crushed on for so long, would blind you to the world. You look into his eyes and then look away, a deep blush heating your cheeks, wondering if he could see the effect he has on you. He pulls you a little closer in response and you move in, the air between the two of you blazing with an unknown desire. Reading about it, hearing it from your friends or even dreaming about it, nothing, none of them, prepare you for the delicious tingling that runs through your skin at his touch.

He twirls you and you do so in a giddy joy, unsure as to how you managed it with grace and without tripping over his feet. You look at him again and see a strange longing in his eyes, as his fingers gently rub your wrist. You know that at that moment he is as breathless as you are, as unfamiliar emotions sweep through the two of you, ones that leave you reeling yet wanting more.

The song lasts for less than five minutes and all too soon it is over, leaving you with memories of a lifetime. It does not matter what happens after the dance, it could lead to a happy friendship or a beautiful relationship of love, or maybe you go about your separate ways, but you will always remember the dance, your first dance with your first crush.

_________________________________

Word count 422