83. Magic

September 21, 2018

"Imagine you have a touch of magic, and can make impossible things happen. What would you do?"

____________________________________________________________

It is a shop, a book store, not too large not too small either. Just enough to be cozy and comfortable, with lots of space of books and readers. At one nook, near the window that faces the street, is the coffee bar, where the readers and buyers, the browsers and the seekers can stop to have a cup or two; of coffee or chocolate or even tea, though it is called a coffee bar. And with each cup, even if you do not have a cup, you get a cookie, free.

The cookies are the magic, you see. Not a very powerful magic, a tiny yet subtle one, a cookie served with a wish, "May your happiness be enough, may your sorrow be less." It does not sound powerful, does it? Not does it sound effective. What is the use of such magic? What impossible thing could it make happen?

But my dear child, that is exactly why it is magic. You have to understand; the world is and has to be in balance, and when you try to change parity or shift the equilibrium of one the opposite would automatically change to maintain the balance. It cannot be voided it is the law of creation.  Light and dark; happiness and sorrow; wealth and poverty, health and sickness, life and death; the equilibrium must never be disturbed. 

So what do I do?

I make subtle shifts, a sliver of happiness stolen will not be noticed, but for the one receiving it; it could mean the world. It is like this; 60 cm of rain in a day could mean 3 metres of floods but 60 cm of rainfall over a year would render the area a desert. It is all about spread and balance. Now do you understand?

Step into my shop, search for books or take part in a conversation or stand in silence at the window looking the street; you need not buy anything, the cookies are free. 

And they are the magic, "May your happiness be enough, may your sorrow be less."

______________________________________

Word count - 342

A very long day in office, I was sure I would miss writing today's prompt, but I seem to have made it.