Chapter 56

Most people shudder at the first cold plunge, but to me it was bliss, especially for my now cracking hand. I didn't feel the bitter chill of the water. I never did. It always felt perfect to me, never too hot and never too cold.

Attuma dived in with just as much ease, his gills opening out upon touching the water. The rest of his Atlantians followed suit, keeping a respectful distance behind us. At least they know their place among the hierarchy.

Attuma's webbed hand claims my own and he guides me towards Atlantis, the Atlantians following behind us. I enjoy the long swim very much. Not only does it give me the chance to clear my head, it's also a lovely chance at being in the water for a while.

At long last we reach Atlantis, which is shimmering among the watery depths in all its glory. I can't help but admire the beautiful place. As corrupted as it's citizens may be, the city itself is captivating.

Attuma leads me through the underwater city and to his palace. Two thrones are waiting for us. Attuma spins me so that I can sit on the one to the right, then sits beside me on the left one.

The Atlantians file in and arrange themselves into neat, orderly rows. Clearly they've been expecting this all along as they know exactly what to do. "Atlantians," Attuma begins, gesturing to me with a smile on his face that I can't help but interpret as somewhat sly.

"Bow before your new Queen!"

The rows all begin to bow until all the Atlantians are lowered respectfully. I search their minds, though all of them seem to be thinking the same thing; Will she be able to control Attuma or will we now have twice the tyranny?

I wanted so desperately to give them hope, but like with the Avengers I could blow my cover if I did. So for now I settled for a satisfied smile to see these people bowing before me.

Oh, right, the Avengers.

I open a link with Loki and let him see an image of what I am seeing. I'm in, I tell him telepathically. Tell the others I am sorry for what I said and did. I could not let them make Attuma question if my actions were genuine.

After a few moments of no response, I hear Loki's voice fill my head. You did well, Lady Lexis. We plan to come after you soon.

No, do not alert Attuma that I am crossing him, I order quickly. I will tell you when you may come, but do not arrive a moment sooner.

You have my word, Loki agreed. Keep us informed of what is to come. Our link then fades, so I let it be. Surely now he will tell the Avengers what is happening and I can continue to gather information.

~•~

"Attack!"

I watch as the wall is blasted through. A pity. The wall did nothing.

I fake shock and anger when the Avengers all file in, those who need it wearing masks so they can get access to oxygen. Some of the Atlantians swarm around me protectively, but in reality these are the rebels, the Atlantians I have found out want to overthrow Attuma so peace among the ocean's creatures may be possible.

"Fight for us," I tell my rebels. "You have your chance to overthrow Attuma now. Fight for us and you will know redemption."

They nod and take off, swimming away rapidly to start clashing with their own kind. I start making my way over to the Avengers, elongating my barb as I do so.

"Long time no see," Steve smiles at me. "Finally, a term I can understand," I smile back. "It is good to see you all again."

"I believe this is yours, my lady," Thor smiles, handing me my Asgardian charm. "Thank you, Thor," I say, attaching it around my neck. It feels good to have it back again. "Where is Loki?"

Thor only smirks and continues on his way, shattering jaws with his hammer as he swings it towards Atlantians that are still loyal to Attuma.

It feels good to be doing this once again. Fighting alongside the Avengers, I mean. Oddly enough, I've taken a liking to working with a well-functioning, well-meaning group. And these guys are just about the best of the best at the moment.

We fight side by side against the opposing Atlantians, reducing their numbers as quickly and efficiently as possible. Attuma arrives and sends more and more Atlantians at us when he realises what is going on, but we counter effectively despite being at two disadvantages.

Well, the Avengers are at two disadvantages; they have fewer numbers and aren't meant to be fighting in water. As for me, I was born to the sea... or at least supposed to. The water is where I truly belong, so my only disadvantage is in numbers.

I'm faster and more graceful than all the Atlantians, giving me an upper-hand, especially since some of them are confused about who to fight. They know that technically I'm still their Queen, so they have no clue whether they should fight me or not.

"Enough!" Attuma eventually yells, grabbing my wrist and throwing my barb away from me. "You dared to go against me?! Even after I made you my Queen?!"

I open my mouth to sing, but he uses his free hand to cover it. I try to enter his mind instead, but a kick to my gut knocks my concentration.

I glance at the other Avengers for help, but they've been swarmed with Atlantians and are too busy to notice me. Every few seconds a new part of my body erupts with pain and I lose my focus, meaning I can't grip onto anyone's mind.

But then I see a familiar hand pick up my barb from behind Attuma.

I close my fist and the barb retracts.

The hand moves the barb behind Attuma's back.

And with the last of my strength...

I open my hand.