Chapter 19

Lexis's POV:

I sighed slightly after I finished my little speech, massaging my temples. I admired the fact that they were trying with me, I really did, but not if they're going to try and trick me like that. The mortals mean well, you know, Loki reminded me telepathically.

I know, I reply. But if I wished to say what they desire to hear, I would have. It is frustrating that they do not understand this.

That experience you shared with me... what was it? He asked. I sighed again. I knew he would ask this at some time.

When I touch others, I experience that all over again. It hurts. A lot. Though the pain is only part of the reason why. There is more that occurs than mere pain. Pain does not cause cracking or 'the sealing of a tomb' as you put it.

What happens to you?

That is the part I do not wish to discuss. It is... the most dangerous part.

The water heals you, doesn't it?

I am surprised you have worked it out. Yes, it does heal me. That is why I can touch people in water. The water prevents any harm, though I do feel an energy surge, it is not painful. I am not only one's equal in the water, I excel their abilities.

I highly doubt you excel Stark's abilities to annoy others.

Alas, this is the one ability I am unable to best. Nobody is as annoying as Stark.

He sent a wave of mild amusement down the link, so I sent one back to him. I assume this is private knowledge? He questioned. I hesitated for a moment, thinking about it, before I reply. You may tell the others if you so wish, though you by no means have to.

I felt him remove himself from my mind, so I did the same to his. I tapped into Steve's mind instead, wanting to listen in on the meeting. -and we can't just leave her in the woods, he was thinking. It's just not right. She could die out there. I can't believe she's happy in a place like that.

I listen intently, knowing he's talking about me. If I'm the subject matter, I have a right to hear this, right? Either way, I don't care.

Why does she stay out all alone? Is it just the fact that human contact hurts her? Pretty much, yes. Looks like Loki shared what I told him. Is there any way to keep her here? I don't like that she's out there all the time. It's dangerous for her. At least that strange guy who tried to hurt her gave us one benefit; her temporary stay.

Is that all he thinks about? Keeping me safe? I can't decide whether this is depressing or sweet. Eventually I just leave his brain alone. It's not my place to meddle, after all.

Loki and Vision soon float into the room through the wall. I can't read Loki's mind when he's like this, so I put up my own mental walls quickly. "Can I help you?" I ask them.

"Mr Stark sent us to make sure you were alright," Vision states in his usual, almost monotonous voice. "By that do you mean you have been summoned here to learn more about me?" I probe.

"There is no point lying to the girl," Loki sighed. "She may be from Midgard, but she is not easily fooled."

"What is 'Midgard'?" I ask, confused. "It is what Asgardians such as Loki call Earth," Vision explains briefly. "I see," I nod. "And this causes me to be predicted as inferior for what reason?"

"Asgardians have the tendency to be gods," Loki smirks. "Why would a god see a human as superior?"

"I am not a human," I point out. "No, you are... an anomaly," Loki agrees, choosing his words carefully. "Are you certain you are from Midgard?"

"Where else would I be from?" I enquire with a shrug. "I would not know of any other worlds I could be from. If I am not of Midgard, I do not know of it."

He nods, seemingly satisfied. "I think I shall go now," Vision says, realising that Loki is making more progress than he is. He fazes through the wall as though he was never there. "Do you mind if I arrive in my true form?" Loki asks me. "As long as we do not come into contact, I do not see why not," I agree. He nods in thanks and vanishes, returning a minute later through the door.

I allow him to sit on the other side of the bed, our legs dangling off the end. I can read his thoughts now, which I like. It lets me know if he's planning a surprise attack or something like that that I'll want to avoid.

He just watches me, allowing me to look through his thoughts, knowing what I am doing. I allow him to do the same to me, but I keep my thoughts directed in one way only.

"How do you like the tower?" He asked me after a short while, trying to make conversation. "It is... not bad," I reply. Then I lower my head. "I apologise for sharing my pain with you."

"An apology isn't necessary," he insists. "Though I am curious as to what happened to you. The only way to create a pain that vivid is to both be masterful of your mind's craft and to have fallen victim to the experience many times."

I sigh, not moving my gaze to him. "It... it is not pleasant. Nor is it ideal." "Pain is never pleasant," he shrugs. "Not to the victim, at least."

I can't help but chuckle, agreeing wholeheartedly. We fall silent for a while, not probing each other's minds this time. Just lost in our own private thoughts.

But, I realise, he deserves to know. Especially after what he has done for me and as a repayment for the pain I inflicted upon him. I take a deep breath and reach over to him with my hand. He watches it, then studies my face, which is both nervous and determined. His eyes go back to my hand.

I lay the back of my hand against his, holding it there. The pain instantly flares to life and I hiss, doing my best to hold in my screams of pain. His eyes widen and he pulls away to reveal the back of my hand. I hold it up to the light to give him a better look, the pain subsiding but my hand still shaking slightly.

The back of my hand has been turned to stone.