Chapter 50

It was two weeks later when my first big event came up. Hawkeye (I now call all of the Avengers by their public identities when they're in the uniform for it) decided it was good for me to get some practice and handle petty crimes. We're running along rooftops now, scouting out the area.

Well, I'm scouting out the area. Hawkeye is reading an old newspaper to me. It's main article is the little show that occurred for Wanda, Vision and I.

"... moreover, the Stone Siren's offered insight on the private lives of the Avengers has made her all the more likeable and approachable, as well as her teammates," he continued reading. "Her most powerful story was of the true nature of the Hulk, who she described as a 'guilted soul' and someone in need of assistance, not shunning..."

I held up a hand for silence when I spotted something. He obeyed instantly, looking down into an alleyway. Three people were down there discussing something. "What's the problem?" Hawkeye asked quietly.

"Their thoughts," I replied. "We may not be close enough to hear their words, but I do not need to be close by to read their minds. They are speaking about a plan to kidnap somebody. They refuse to name names or give me an image. They are simply referring to them as 'the target'."

"Well, that's enough for me," Hawkeye shrugged, aiming an arrow and firing towards them all. It exploded on contact with the ground, causing the 'wannabes' - as Tony calls them - to start coughing.

By now Hawkeye and I had come down from the rooftops, blocking their only exit. I took out my barb and Hawkeye drew another arrow.  "Plotting a kidnapping, are we?" He taunted. "Not on my watch."

But the wannabes weren't listening to him; their eyes were firmly fixed on me. "That's the girl! Get her!" One ordered, his accent strangely familiar. They all came running at me, but I sing a few notes and they all stopped, looking drowsy due to the hypnosis caused by my song. "Do we interrogate them?" I ask Hawkeye.

"Yeah, sure," he agreed. "You do the honours." "Honours?" I ask, confused. "You get to interrogate them," Hawkeye sighed. "Why do we keep getting Avengers that don't understand expressions?"

"Somebody has their bitch flakes this morning," I remark, deciding to prove that I understand some modern day expressions while also insulting him. While he cocks an eyebrow, I walk over to the closest wannabe kidnapper. "Tell me who sent you," I order.

"Attuma of Atlantis."

"I knew you were Atlantians," I sigh. "They're Atlantians?" Hawkeye asks, looking at them. His thoughts tell me that he thinks this is really creepy. I telepathically order the closest on to him to yell at him, causing him to screech and leap back. I laugh. "Yes, they are Atlantians. And do not worry, I ordered them to do that."

He grumbles something inaudible before he speaks up again. "So what do they want?" "Tell me what Attuma last ordered you to do," I say to the Atlantians.

"Capture the Stone Siren," they say in unnerving unison. I take a step back, shocked. "Tell me what Attuma wants with me." "I do not know," they all chorused.

"So Attuma wants you for some unknown reason," Hawkeye sighed. "Do you have any ideas?"

"Atlantians and sirens used to be very useful to one another," I answer. "It was years before even my curse. But then sirens split away from the Atlantians due to their wars with the surface world. Us sirens wanted peace. Atlantians only wanted war."

"So what does that have to do with  you?" Hawkeye asked. "Not that the history lesson wasn't super interesting, of course."

I rolled my eyes. "Who says he would not want the benefits of a siren again, Hawkeye? He knows what I am and where to find me. All he needs is me. Then he has a siren at his disposal. He could rule the oceans... and the surface world."

"And you and him together can do all that?" He seems skeptical. "I alone could do that," I shrug. "The only difference is that I do not wish to take control. What would the point be?"

"Well I'm glad you see it that way," Hawkeye shrugs, then he gestures to the hypnotised  Atlantians. "Right, what should we do with fish face and his group of guppies, then?"

"I see no real harm in releasing them back into the water," I shrug. "We have all the information we needed, do we not?"

He thinks this over for a minute, then nods. "Yeah, ok. Do what you want with them."

I look to the Atlantians. "Return to Attuma and tell him this; I know your plans, I know why you want me, but no matter how many slaves you send for me I will never be your puppet. They can not convince me and I will never submit to someone attempting to make me their weapon against my will. The Stone Siren is not going to be used."

I pause for a moment to make sure they understood, then clicked my tongue, signifying the end of my command. They then leave. "They will relay that exact message to Attuma, then they will regain control of their minds," I tell Hawkeye. "What shall we do now?"

"I mean... I was gonna suggest McDonalds or something, but I think it's not the best time," he shrugged. "Are you serious?" I cock an eyebrow. "When is it not a good time to suggest McDonalds?"

He laughs. "You're like the teenage version of Lila, I swear. But Cap would kill us. Come on, let's go make a little report of our own."

I nod and we leave the alley. Honestly, I'm not worried about Attuma. I can handle an Atlantian. I am just as strong as they are, as long as water is available. Another advantage is that I can move freely on land while they need to be more wary.

I can defeat any Atlantian foe that dares to cross my path.