Chapter 32

What are you doing, Lady Lexis?

I look up from the book, noticing that he's already a few pages into his while I'm still on the first page. I am reading, I reply to him in confusion, not understanding. You are evaluating each word thoroughly, he says, equally confused.

I may speak English fluently, but I am nowhere near as skilled at reading it, I inform him. Sounding out the letters is the only way for me to read this and I highly doubt you possess a copy written in Tamatari.

Hm... I just might be able to help with this, he said. Wait here. I will return shortly. With that, he walked out. I watched him go, then decided I might as well return to my book, so I continued to 'read'. I found little useful information, but then again I was only a few paragraphs down on the first page.

When Loki eventually returned, he handed my some sort of pendant. "This contains an Asgardian charm," he explained to me, gesturing to a beautiful gem in the centre of the pendant. "Those who wear it shall be granted the ability to read, write and speak in any given language. It is essentially a method of translation to your preferred language."

I cautiously place the pendant around my neck when instructed to, then look back at the book I was reading. All the letters seem to morph. Surprised, I look closer. Tamatari. Just as promised, I can read the book now.

"Thank you," I say to Loki. "It is incredible." "Do not be so thankful," Loki cautions me. "Odin would like it returned by the end of your visit. In pristine condition, as well."

I nod in understanding. "Well it is still wonderful nonetheless. I will make sure it is returned unscathed." He nods, satisfied, then we return to the books, trying to figure out more. This time I move quickly and it isn't long before I've read as much as he has.

"You're a fast reader," he comments, turning a page. "I used to be able to read faster than my parents, but I had to leave all of our books behind when I ran," I say sadly. I still get upset when talking about anything and anyone from my past, especially things I was emotionally attached to. Loki also appeared somber.

"I am sorry," he tells me quietly, but I can't find it in me to answer. He looks at me for a moment longer, then lowered his head back to his book when he realised I wasn't planning to reply to him. He seemed to understand.

"Lady Lexis! Brother!" A voice boomed, startling me from my book. Loki chuckled at me, then Thor came into view, an apologetic yet mostly amused expression on his face. "I see you have both started searching for a way to lift the curse!"

"We have," I nod. It's then that Thor notices the pendant around my neck. "What charm does her pendant contain?" He asked Loki. "Allspeech," Loki answered. "Odin allowed her to use it while on Asgard so she can read the books. She can only read in a language known as Tamatari."

"Then read all you desire in this Tomato language of yours, Lady Lexis," Thor smiles. I chuckle at his misunderstanding, but don't correct him. "I will assist you both in your search."

He picks up a book and begins reading, but it is clear that he is not as enthusiastic about reading as Loki and I are. He is the one to run off to fetch breakfast for everyone when stomachs begin to growl like ravenous wolves.

We read for the entire morning. I learn quite a bit about Asgardian magic and history, along with information about other realms. What I find most fascinating is the information about the Infinity Stones, especially the Mind Stone and the Space Stone, the latter of which was hidden inside the Tesseract in Loki's staff when he cursed my people.

When the morning wanes into the afternoon, I feel something tap my shoulder. I look up from my book, the fourth one I've been through today, to see Loki tapping me lightly with his own. "Perhaps we should put away the books for now and go find some food," he suggests. "We have all week and we have been reading for hours. Surely you are tired."

I'm about to deny this, but instead a traitorous yawn escapes me. Loki and Thor chuckle at me. "This is why you should not wake during the early hours of the morning," Thor says. "Now we shall feast. Come!"

Loki and I allow Thor to lead us around. He takes pride in Asgard, it's plain to see. We eventually reach a large room where several Asgardians are dining. A few look up when we enter. Loki earns thoughts of negativity, Thor awe, admiration and a few sparks of attraction from some women, and I earn thoughts of curiosity, confusion, wonderment and a few indecent thoughts of the arousal of a few men. I immediately shut my mind off to them and catch Loki's distaste for the Asgardian's less than appropriate opinions of me. I suppose even Asgardian men are still men. I mention this to Loki telepathically and he doesn't suppress his amused smirk.

Thor leads us to an empty table and Loki pulls out a seat, gesturing for me to sit. "What a gentleman," I smile slightly, obeying. I'm a little tense when he gently pushes the seat closer to the table for me, but he takes care to not touch me, much to my relief.

He sits next to me and we make light conversation for a while. I didn't even realise that Thor had left to collect food until he had returned with a plate piled high with various meats, a plate containing more greenery than meat and in a large but not enormous portion and a plate with smaller portions of practically everything. Thor slides the latter to me.

"I did not know what you would like, my fair maiden," he informs me. "So I got everything I could. I kept to Midgardian portions, but all you must do is ask if you wish for more."

"Thank you, Thor," I smile. "Or should I refer to you as Sir Thor and to your brother as Sir Loki as you both call me a lady?" I ask with a teasing smirk. "You do not have to do anything of the sort, but princes would be more appropriate," Loki jokes. Thor's bellowing laughter causes some heads to look in our direction, wondering what could be so funny.